Emergency Light UPS backed VS Battery Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriman

Greetings,

I was wondering which one you favor more. This is to power the emergency lights. This is for a commercial project that has about 150 emergency lighting fixtures. My options to power the emergency lighting are as followings:

1- UPS
2- Back up generator
3- Purchase the lighting fixture with battery pack

To evaluate this I would like to compare the initial capital cost to purchase and install them, the cost for inspection which is every month per OSHA, and maintenance cost for each system.

Your inputs are highly appreciated in advance.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Greetings,

I was wondering which one you favor more. This is to power the emergency lights. This is for a commercial project that has about 150 emergency lighting fixtures. My options to power the emergency lighting are as followings:

1- UPS
2- Back up generator

To evaluate this I would like to compare the initial capital cost to purchase and install them, the cost for inspection which is every month per OSHA, and maintenance cost for each system.

The biggest expense is that any wiring between the source and the emergency lights has to be in totally separate conduit and wire. And if it is a generator, then everything from the transfer switch to the panels needs to be separate and can never be used to feed other generator loads. This is because it is a legally required emergency system per article 700. If those lights are also going to be switched on and off, then each switch leg will require an emergency transfer device at about $100 each.

david

Greetings,

1- UPS
2- Back up generator

What type of facility / occupancy

ron

Greetings,

1- UPS
2- Back up generator

For the UPS option, I'm guessing you really mean a lighting inverter that is listed to UL 924. A regular UPS wouldn't fly.

Generally #2 is most overall expensive and most maintenance since it is UL2200 and the ATS is dedicated.

#1 is next overall expensive but easier for maintenance due to the central location for the batteries.

#3 will be cheapest overall but high maintenance.

Electriman

For the UPS option, I'm guessing you really mean a lighting inverter that is listed to UL 924. A regular UPS wouldn't fly.

Generally #2 is most overall expensive and most maintenance since it is UL2200 and the ATS is dedicated.

#1 is next overall expensive but easier for maintenance due to the central location for the batteries.

Thanks. Yes I meant lighting inverter.

So there is no easy way to inspect the battery backed emergency lights am I right? Something like a remote so we don't have to physically reach out the light.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

So there is no easy way to inspect the battery backed emergency lights am I right? Something like a remote so we don't have to physically reach out the light.

That is a very common option on many emergency lights.

Strathead

Occupation

This is definitely project specific. For example, I recently did a Hotel. They wanted every other light down the hallway to stay on all night long. With the advent of LED, I was able to provide 550 inverters, on each floor specifying that the wiring comply with Article 700 of the NEC, and feed all the night lights, the exits without batteries and a single GTD in the electrical room for the switched light. That was quite a bit cheaper than emergency lights all the way down the hallway. Testing is simple. One button in the electrical room.

I do agree that in many cases the individual ones are more expensive initially.

ron

They have some with a remote and there are some that will automatically do the monthly and annual tests and alarm if there are failures. You just have to check for lamps that are out.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Greetings,

1- UPS
2- Back up generator

Is this job an emergency system per article 700, legally required standby system per article 701 or an optional standby system per article 702?
It makes a difference.

Electriman

Is this job an emergency system per article 700, legally required standby system per article 701 or an optional standby system per article 702?
It makes a difference.

These are emergency lights that would provide egress light in case of emergency, that should put them in article 700, am I right?

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Yes, you are correct. The answer to his question was in your original post. Not a question that needed to be asked.

Would you please point to the original post and show us where he called it an emergency system?

Last edited:

Strathead

Occupation
Would you please point to the original post and show us where he called it an emergency system?

When you are asking whether to power your emergency lights by a generator, you are asking whether to feed the emergency lighting. IF it is fed from a generator then, that conduit and wiring is inherrently article 700 Legally required emergency systems.

david

It contains multiple businesses. Restaurant, Cafe, retail, sport, .... How does this affect the selection?

A lot of large mall type / multi occupancy retail or mixed occupancy already have an outside contractor come in on a regular bases and do bulb and ballast, light fixture repair in general

If one bulb for unit equipment or emergency ballast in one fixture fails the occupancy would have it taken care of on the next regular schedule date.

If it’s an inverter or generator problem the skill level and repairs becomes more specialized

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
When you are asking whether to power your emergency lights by a generator, you are asking whether to feed the emergency lighting. IF it is fed from a generator then, that conduit and wiring is inherrently article 700 Legally required emergency systems.

A. General
700-1. Scope. The provisions of this article apply to the electrical safety of the
installation, operation, and maintenance of emergency systems consisting of circuits
and equipment intended to supply, distribute, and control electricity for illumination
or power, or both, to required facilities when the normal electrical supply or system
is interrupted.
Emergency systems are those systems legally required and classed as emergency
by municipal, state, federal, or other codes, or by any governmental agency having
jurisdiction.
These systems are intended to automatically supply illumination or
power, or both, to designated areas and equipment m the event of failure of the
normal supply or in the event of accident to elements of a system intended to supply,
distribute and control power and illumination essential for safety to human life.
(FPN No. 1): For further information regarding wiring and installation of
emergency systems in health care facilities, see Article 517.
(FPN No. 2): For further information regarding performance and maintenance of
emergency systems in health care facilities, see Standard for Health Care Facilities,
NFPA 99-1999.
(FPN No. 3): Emergency systems are generally installed in places of assembly
where artificial illumination is required for safe exiting and for panic control in
buildings subject to occupancy by large numbers of persons, such as hotels,
theaters, sports arenas, health care facilities, and similar institutions. Emergency
systems may also provide power for such functions as ventilation where essential to
maintain life, fire detection and alarm systems, elevators, fire pumps, public safety
communications systems, industrial processes where current interruption would
produce serious life safety or health hazards, and similar functions.
(FPN No. 4): For specification of locations where emergency lighting is considered
essential to life safety, see Life Safety Code, NFPA 101-2000.
(FPN No. 5): For further information regarding performance of emergency and
standby power systems, see Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems,
NFPA 110-1999.

All I'm asking or saying is who said what he has is an Emergency System and must be installed to article 700 of the NEC.
(See in bold above)
Can the original poster come back and tell us he has been told by any of the above he has an emergency system covered by article 700?

Electriman

A. General
700-1. Scope. The provisions of this article apply to the electrical safety of the
installation, operation, and maintenance of emergency systems consisting of circuits
and equipment intended to supply, distribute, and control electricity for illumination
or power, or both, to required facilities when the normal electrical supply or system
is interrupted.
by municipal, state, federal, or other codes, or by any governmental agency having
jurisdiction.
normal supply or in the event of accident to elements of a system intended to supply,
distribute and control power and illumination essential for safety to human life.
emergency systems in health care facilities, see Standard for Health Care Facilities,
NFPA 99-1999.
where artificial illumination is required for safe exiting and for panic control in
theaters, sports arenas, health care facilities, and similar institutions. Emergency
systems may also provide power for such functions as ventilation where essential to
maintain life, fire detection and alarm systems, elevators, fire pumps, public safety
(FPN No. 4): For specification of locations where emergency lighting is considered
NFPA 110-1999.

All I'm asking or saying is who said what he has is an Emergency System and must be installed to article 700 of the NEC.
(See in bold above)
Can the original poster come back and tell us he has been told by any of the above he has an emergency system covered by article 700?

I am saying per NEC 700, egress lights is part of emergency system. It is per code.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
A. General
is interrupted.
jurisdiction.
NFPA 99-1999.
NFPA 110-1999.

(See in bold above)

Unit equipment to provide emergency egress lighting is covered under 700.12(F). "Unit equipment" includes the typical wall-mounted e-light or combo e-light/exit sign with individual battery backup that we see all over the place.

david

Unit equipment to provide emergency egress lighting is covered under 700.12(F). "Unit equipment" includes the typical wall-mounted e-light or combo e-light/exit sign with individual battery backup that we see all over the place.

i do not think the question you asked about legally required for clarification or to make the point that there are differentiate
applications of gen and such was inappropriate'

I'm not sure I'm understanding the point you are making about unit equipment, i will however say that unit equipment depending on the occupancy can be utilized to meet the authorities requirement for egress lighting

Strathead

Occupation
(See in bold above)

The building code. the Life Safety code, take your choice. We could be obtuse and claim that not all emergency lighting is installed to meet the minimum levels, but at some point we have to use common sense. When someone says "emergency lighting" it is obvious they are talking about lighting that is REQUIRED by code to provide for egress.

Status
Not open for further replies.