How close may we set a standby generator to an in-ground swimming pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KISS Gen

I have read 2014 code until the cover falls off, as has my Master and lead foreman.
We have also consulted with the City of Houston Electrical Inspection Department.
The city inspectors stated that if we were greater than 5’from the inside wall of the pool and /or had a fence or barrier 5’ or greater between the pool and the generator.
And as an adder Bonded the generator with the other pool equipment, we would meet the NEC requirements.
However they have not been able to show us in NEC or city code text that is the case.
In case of an incident, lawyers don’t care about “Hear Say”interpretation.
Several other installers say they use the 10’ rule but again that is just their private interpretation.
Over our 10 years as a Kohler Dealer we have set generators with 5’ of separation and always passed inspection.
As with most things in code it wasn’t an issue, until there was an issue.
Can you help shed any light on this dilemma.

Rule of Thumb

Rule of Thumb

Hey,

The 5' distance you provided will suffice; however as you said, lawyers don’t care about “Hear Say”interpretation, therefore add an extra foot, just to be safe.

"Article 680 requires the installation of a maintenance disconnecting means for all equipment other than lighting [680.12]. The intent is to facilitate de-energization of equipment and provide lockout/tagout means for worker's safety. If Art. 680 of the National Electrical Code (NEC) has one overriding concern, it's to keep people and water separated from electricity. Article 680 applies to pools, spas, hot tubs, fountains, and similar bodies of water.

The maintenance disconnecting means must be readily accessible and within sight of the permanently installed pool, storable pool, outdoor spa, outdoor hot tub, or fountain equipment. It must also be at least 5 ft from any of these, unless separated from the open water by a permanently installed barrier that provides a 5-ft reach path or greater. Measure the horizontal distance from the water's edge along the shortest path required to reach the disconnecting means."

Hope that helps!

I have read 2014 code until the cover falls off, as has my Master and lead foreman.
We have also consulted with the City of Houston Electrical Inspection Department.
The city inspectors stated that if we were greater than 5’from the inside wall of the pool and /or had a fence or barrier 5’ or greater between the pool and the generator.
And as an adder Bonded the generator with the other pool equipment, we would meet the NEC requirements.
However they have not been able to show us in NEC or city code text that is the case.
In case of an incident, lawyers don’t care about “Hear Say”interpretation.
Several other installers say they use the 10’ rule but again that is just their private interpretation.
Over our 10 years as a Kohler Dealer we have set generators with 5’ of separation and always passed inspection.
As with most things in code it wasn’t an issue, until there was an issue.
Can you help shed any light on this dilemma.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The poster above left out an important piece of information: Article 680.12 requires the installation of a maintenance disconnecting means for all utilization equipment other than lighting. The disconnect is required for maintenance of the equipment not to mitigate a shock hazard. A generator is not utilization equipment either.

...as an adder [if we] bonded the generator with the other pool equipment, we would meet the NEC requirements.

You are correct. There is no NEC requirement for anything beyond 5 feet to be bonded so you might want to ask exactly where that requirement is. The only thing I can see is GFCI protection for receptacles and luminaries out to 10 feet.

That said, I wouldn't install a generator that close to a pool unless there was absolutely no other choice.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.