Soft start overloading 30 min+ after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pce

I’m working with a franklin controls IMS3R-RV-S4/J-G200 running 75Hp 3 phase motor [MENTION=63279]480[/MENTION]V. my problem is after start up, could be 5 minutes and has gone as long as 7 hrs before it starts reading a random amperage spike 125, 220, 300, with just over a 1000A being the highest I’ve seen on the readout before it shuts down with an obvious overload fault code. I’ve monitored incoming voltage as well as voltage leaving the mag all of which seems to be fine. I haven’t caught these same readings with my amp meters. I sent the motor in to a local motor shop for analysis and they tell me there are no issues with the motor. I have also contacted tech support from manufacturer of soft start for any helpful advice, again coming up with no solid answers. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I’m working with a franklin controls IMS3R-RV-S4/J-G200 running 75Hp 3 phase motor @480V. my problem is after start up, could be 5 minutes and has gone as long as 7 hrs before it starts reading a random amperage spike 125, 220, 300, with just over a 1000A being the highest I’ve seen on the readout before it shuts down with an obvious overload fault code. I’ve monitored incoming voltage as well as voltage leaving the mag all of which seems to be fine. I haven’t caught these same readings with my amp meters. I sent the motor in to a local motor shop for analysis and they tell me there are no issues with the motor. I have also contacted tech support from manufacturer of soft start for any helpful advice, again coming up with no solid answers. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

I think all of the Soft Starts we supplied went into bypass for better efficiency.
Does yours?

Pce

I think all of the Soft Starts we supplied went into bypass for better efficiency.
Does yours?
Yes it does. After initial start up it bypasses soft start and goes through a mag for duration of run time. Also noted this morning amperage on one leg leaving mag was 10+ Amps higher than the other 2( A phase)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Could also be a bad contact in the bypass starter. Once in bypass, the soft starter is out of the picture. Make sure the bypass is actually closing and staying closed though.

The other thing to look for if everything else is good is if the control system calling for the pump is “fluttering” on and off repeatedly. That would do it too (not the imbalance, but the higher current).

Status
Not open for further replies.