Mounting a flanged inlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I have a NEMA L 14/30 flanged male inlet power receptacle that I need to mount for a portable generator connection.

My question is: What type of enclosure should this be mounted in?

It is going to be surface mounted on an interior garage wall.

The only product I'm currently able to find is a Reliance weather proof enclosure with the flanged inlet as part of the assembly.

The product states not for indoor use.

Is it labeled that way in order to keep people from running the generator in an enclosed area?

I could easily see it being mounted outside and the person running the generator in the garage so it's " out of the weather"

Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I recently made my own interior inlet by hole-sawing a 2-gang stainless steel blank plate, pop-riveting a standard 4-prong 30a flanged inlet to it, and mounting it into a deep 2-gang old-work box.

kwired

Electron manager
I recently made my own interior inlet by hole-sawing a 2-gang stainless steel blank plate, pop-riveting a standard 4-prong 30a flanged inlet to it, and mounting it into a deep 2-gang old-work box.
I did about same thing a few months ago, seems I used a 30-50 amp stainless receptacle plate and only had to drill the mounting holes for the "inlet".

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would assume that the manufacturer maybe referring to the generator it's self.
I remember that there was one downward receptacle style that didn't hold up well outside.
I typically mount them inside the garage as close as I can to the door . I have also made up hard wired whips place them on a hook ready to just be plugged in to the generator outside of course.:)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

That is almost exactly how I make them, except I use a KO punch, and I tap 8-32’s to hold it into the stainless cover.

I’ll put it under the panel if it’s near the garage door.

If the panel is inside or at the back of the garage, I’ll usually go through the exterior wall and use on of those Generac inlet boxes. They’re about $30/ea, which is cheaper than making an inlet, but I like them flush when on an interior wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.