Working space violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkSafe

I dinged (110.26(A)(1)) a facility a few months ago on this. There is a disconnect mounted on a wall and a metal platform located directly in front of it bolted to the floor.

Question: Could they raise this box up 6 1/2' off the platform and be in compliance? This would put the disconnect approx. 9' or so off room floor.

This is a chemical storage room and they use this platform to add chemicals to a tank located out of the picture.

They can't move it to the other side of the tanks because of existing utilities. Only options are to move the box further up on the wall or remove the platform (which they do not want to do).

Attachments

• platformdisco.jpg
    platformdisco.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0

WorkSafe

I was thinking that as well. The panel would have to be less then 6 1/2' off the floor, and if they raised it further up, that would be a violation, regardless of the platform?

marti smith

Maybe they could they change the area (shape and depth) of the platform and then change the disco to a hookstick switch and go with 404.8, Ex.3. Does the switch next to the disco feed the motor in the tank (via conduit under the platform)?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Are the switches operated/worked on from the platform? If so, I'd simply extend the platform all the way to the wall with cutouts for the raceways. Operating switches from platforms is a common and necessary practice in refineries.

From a true safety perspective, I would be more concerned about workspace egress.

Status
Not open for further replies.