Pool Renovations and Bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I believe the inspector means the bonding is per 680 and they require an inspection to confirm it. This is normal. I assume your inspection department checks burial depths per 300.5 and concrete encased electrode bonding per article 250.66 also.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
Just wondering what the township deems a "renovation". For sure if you replace the pool patio, you will have to conform to the current code and have the proper inspections after making changes.

Is this residential or commercial?

NJ requires bond certification on public pools every 5 years-not sure about PA.

I did a residential reno job about 15 years ago, which included a new patio. We made good on our bonding requirements to the structure, (concrete pool), handrails, ladders, motors and got inspections. The inspector wanted a separate bonding certification. I called in an approved company to perform the test and got the certification.

May be a good call to get the pool certified. CYA. Just build the additional cost into your pricing.

david

I'm being told by one Township in Montgomery County PA that a Bonding inspection is required on all Pool Renovations per N.E.C. 2008 680.26
I have read through it and don't see anything in regards to having an inspection done. Am I missing something?

§ 403.26. Swimming pools.
(a) A swimming pool, hot tub and spa which is accessory to a one- or two-family dwelling must comply with the ‘‘International Residential Code of 2015’’ which adopts, by reference, the ‘‘International Swimming Pool and Spa Code of 2015.’’

(b) A swimming pool, hot tub or spa that is not accessory to a one- or two-family dwelling must comply with the Public Bathing Law (35 P.S. § § 672—680d) and the ‘‘International Building Code of 2015’’ which adopts, by reference, the ‘‘International Swimming Pool and Spa Code of 2015.’’
Authority
The provisions of this § 403.26 amended under section 304(a)(1) and (2) of the Pennsylvania Construction Code Act (35 P.S. § 7210.304(a)(1) and (2)).
Source

The provisions of this § 403.26 amended December 15, 2006, effective December 31, 2006, 36 Pa.B. 7548; amended December 24, 2009, effective December 31, 2009, 39 Pa.B. 7196; amended September 29, 2018, effective October 1, 2018, 48 Pa.B. 6261. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (347296) to (347297).

§ 403.1. Scope.
b) Exclusions and exemptions. The Uniform Construction Code does not apply to:

(8) Alterations to residential buildings which do not make structural changes or changes to means of egress, except as required by ordinances in effect under sections 303(b)(1) or 503 of the act (35 P. S. § § 7210.303(b)(1) and 7210.503). Under this subsection, a structural change does not include a minor framing change needed to replace existing windows or doors.

(9) Repairs to residential buildings, except as required by ordinances in effect under sections 303(b)(1) and 503 of the act.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I'm being told by one Township in Montgomery County PA that a Bonding inspection is required on all Pool Renovations per N.E.C. 2008 680.26
I have read through it and don't see anything in regards to having an inspection done. Am I missing something?
NEC doesn't cover any inspections period. Your local law says you must have an inspection in certain situations and that NEC is the standard that will be used for the inspection.

david

Residential building—Detached one-family and two-family dwellings and townhouses which are not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress

A multi family dwelling with shared egress is a commercial building

any renovation on an existing residential pool that is non structural would be exempt from a required permit

All (major) renovations on a commercial pool would require a permit, most minor repairs also being exempt from a required permit

See examples of Minor repairs Dept of Labor and Industry or google PA uniform construction code

Status
Not open for further replies.