Busbar sub sectionalizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What benefit is there to having midpoint busbar sectionalizing switches? My calculations show nothing is gained because they can actually reduce the availability of a busbar- however upon looking at manufacture literature and actual substations commissioned in Europe and Asia- half the time its common to have them.

duplicate-busbar-bus-sectionalizer-busbar-coupler.png

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
In my time, in a fossil power station, a low voltage duplex transformer switchgear worked open coupling breaker and each transformer rated power was approximate 70% of the total required power. The coupling was closed only for a short-time if one of transformers was in trouble. Each equipment supplied as pumps, compressors and other was doubled and each equipment was able to support 70% of the total [calculated] burden. If this policy of redundant equipment changed in order to minimize the initial cost and consider the non-supplied power less important then no need of the coupling breaker indeed.:weeping:

Tony S

You have to take in to account the total fault current of two transformers in parallel. You also have to look at the knock on effect upstream.

I’ve paralleled transformers to take one out for maintenance, it took less time than it took to write this sentence.

Paralleling transformers at our intake substation was tricky to say the least, the DNO (PoCo) had to be involved. Without their help we would be paralleling parts of the area 132kV system.

I don’t know about US systems but UK DNO transformers are rated for 125% O/L in summer and 150% O/L in the winter. This is where Julius’s post comes in to the equation, if the transformers are normally 70% loaded you can swing the entire load on to one.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
But here is the thing- in many of these applications everything is paralleled. One could skip sensationalizing the busbar in that you already have another busbar should the other need to be removed from service. The thing is why further add isolaters?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
OK you run two transformers in parallel and a fault occurs on one of the outputs, what happens on the rest of the system?

The system sees voltage dip, increase in reactive power and the circuit breaker trips within 5-6 cycles.

Sahib

The system sees voltage dip, increase in reactive power and the circuit breaker trips within 5-6 cycles.
Tony's question is for radial circuit configuration where fault takes out all equipment downstream. But if you have much costlier but more reliable primary loop and secondary loop configuration, it does not happen.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Tony's question is for radial circuit configuration where fault takes out all equipment downstream. But if you have much costlier but more reliable primary loop and secondary loop configuration, it does not happen.

But what does that have to do with busbar sensationalizing?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You have to take in to account the total fault current of two transformers in parallel. You also have to look at the knock on effect upstream.

I’ve paralleled transformers to take one out for maintenance, it took less time than it took to write this sentence.

Paralleling transformers at our intake substation was tricky to say the least, the DNO (PoCo) had to be involved. Without their help we would be paralleling parts of the area 132kV system.

I don’t know about US systems but UK DNO transformers are rated for 125% O/L in summer and 150% O/L in the winter. This is where Julius’s post comes in to the equation, if the transformers are normally 70% loaded you can swing the entire load on to one.

Paralleling the 132kv system is beneficial if your equipment can tolerate the short circuit forces. For one during a fault you just get a 6-30 cycle dip instead of a complete outage and then transferring over. Second an interconnected system usually has a higher critical clearing time due to its "elasticity"

Anyway, for the bus coupler you have at least two options:

Attachments

• bus bar sectionalizing.jpg
    bus bar sectionalizing.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.