Install 5 kV cables on the side of catwalk in fiberglass conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xuan

Does anyone know a Code reference that prohibits contractor to run 5 kV cable via fiberglass conduit mounted on the side of a catwalk? I'm reviewing a construction project, in which the contractor wants to run 3#2, 5 kV cables via fiberglass conduit mounted to the side of a catwalk. I don't want to approve the contractor's idea, but I can't find any Code reference that prohibit what he intends to do. Please advise. Thanks.

RUWired

Article 300.37 lists above ground wiring method allowed for over 600 volt. I don't see fiberglass raceways listed. Is that a listed electrical raceway?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Article 300.37 lists above ground wiring method allowed for over 600 volt. I don't see fiberglass raceways listed. Is that a listed electrical raceway?
Fiberglass is RTRC. That was under rigid non-metallic conduits in the 2005 and earlier codes. In the 2008 code the non-metallic article was split into 3 articles, 352 for PVC, 353 for high density polyethylene and 355 for RTRC. In the 2008 code RTRC was left out as permitted raceway, but that was corrected in the 2011 code. Just like PVC there is more than one grade of RTRC. 300.37 was one of the sections that should have been changed in the 2008 code but was missed and not changed until the 2011 code.

Xuan

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses. I don't have any problem with the contractor running 5 kV cables in fiberglass (RTRC). My concern is whether it is safe to mount the 5 kV cables on the side of the catwalk. Let say the catwalk is under a bridge and run from one end of the bridge to the other end of the bridge. Please advise. Thanks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
By definition, [Section 355.2] RTRC is a rigid nonmetalic conduit. It is acceptable under 300.37. Marked with the suffix -XW it is even acceptable in Class I, Divisin 2 [501.10(B)(3)]

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Gentlemen,

Thanks for your responses. I don't have any problem with the contractor running 5 kV cables in fiberglass (RTRC). My concern is whether it is safe to mount the 5 kV cables on the side of the catwalk. Let say the catwalk is under a bridge and run from one end of the bridge to the other end of the bridge. Please advise. Thanks.
One of the projects I'm involved with is doing something similar - except it is 15kV. As long as the raceway is not subject to direct traffic it should be ok. If it is in the direct "line of fire", what is the catwalk doing there in the first place?

Xuan

The catwalk is for the maintenance personnel to walk across the bridge for inspecting electrical equipment and electrical panels mounted under the bridge.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
The catwalk is for the maintenance personnel to walk across the bridge for inspecting electrical equipment and electrical panels mounted under the bridge.
My question was rhetorical. I knew the basic function of the catwalk. I was just pointing out that the catwalk would be in as much jeopardy as the raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.