Open Cell Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is it permissible to have blown open cell foam insulation in direct contact with IC rated can lights ??

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Is it permissible to have blown open cell foam insulation in direct contact with IC rated can lights ??

In my view, no. To me it is a common sense issue as if the fixture is encapsulated it is no longer possible to remove the can to access the J box from below which seems to me to be a violation of the instructions. Also, the IC standard I don't believe ever envisioned this as it was developed long before we started using spray foam.
I seem to recall that UL or somebody had a position on this. Have to do some research.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yeah, I agree that it is a no-no but I think you can remove the can with great effort. Whenever I have had those issues I just refuse to install cans or they have to come up with another option that doesn't encase the cans.

kwired

Electron manager
Yeah, I agree that it is a no-no but I think you can remove the can with great effort. Whenever I have had those issues I just refuse to install cans or they have to come up with another option that doesn't encase the cans.

Doesn't take much effort to remove it with a Cat 336 excavator:D

eds

Aculux cans have a sticker on them, approved for spray foam with a thermal rating of ----. I don't recall the actual value but a call to the insulation company by the G,C. confirmed we were within rating. Other jobs batts are placed over cans in place of foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.