Blow dryer gfci trips while not in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question that maybe someone can shine some light on for me. Dedicated 20 amp circuit, quad outlets. Blower dryers are plugged into one of the outlets, other outlet has hair cutting clippers plugged in. Blow dryer off just plugged in, clippers powered on and trip the gfci on the blower dryer plug. Any thoughts on this? Happening on multiple circuits, multiple stores. We get complaints that one station also trips the next station yet they are not connected as they are dedicated circuits and not on the same phase.

Are the gfci on the dryer just that sensitive? Surge from clippers turning on and tripping it? All connections are tight.

One more thing to comment on is that it might be happening with one or two brands of hair dryers but they cannot confirm for sure it it’s brand specific or across the board. Clipper brands do vary and some of the heavier duty clippers will guarantee a trip.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Switching of inductive loads do seem to affect GFCI type devices. Some brands more than others. I hadn't heard of them affecting the inline device for hair dryers, but that means little.

Is it possible the HD GFCI self trips after a delay of non use that requires a manual reset?

Hi. Thanks for the reply, the clippers and dyers are used quite frequently throughout the day. The most the would sit idle is 30-45 on avaerage.

Ill ask ask them to check the stations that are not in use, to see if those dryers are randomly resetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.