Stubbing Up Conduits in Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
What's the best way to insure stubbed up conduits remain plumb and in the right place after the concrete boys get through?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're stubbing up and later on nippling into 4" or 4 11/16" boxes then you can use these. We call them eyeglasses and they're spaced to the same dimension as the box KO's. Hold them on with two locknuts and a sealing bushing on the end. They also come in three hole versions for three conduits.

a1083.jpg

dhalleron

Being mostly resi, I haven't done much concrete work and can't offer much advice.

I just wanted to say that about 1982 or so I was helping an electrician work a slab job. His stub ups were inside the walls everywhere, but some of them shifted so that two stub ups into the same box were at slightly different heights. He said he was going to invent something to adjust for the difference for the threaded pipe. Later he found what he was going to invent already at the supply house. To this day I still don’t know what they were called or what they look like. I just remember him being mad that he didn’t find them before.

Edit: Infinity beat me to this post. I bet the eyeglasses he posted was what we needed back in the day.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
As the above have said and if you have time a few wheel barrels of concrete ahead of time at the stub ups. Usually concrete trucks are around and you can just 'borrow' some cement to stick your stuff down.

tkb

I have made plywood templates of the panels and stubbed the conduits through two of them.
This keeps the conduits lined up and them you can use the template to mark out your panels for the knockouts.

copper chopper

try this

try this

hey infinity where do you get those eyeglass things and are they called something else...

and on pour day get there early and bring enough doughnuts for those guys and coffee.......

cause if your a dick to them they will make sure your stubs are messed up whatever you do..... maybe even put some concrete in them

after 25 years in the buisness i have learned you get more or better results from most poeple if your nice to them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cadpoint

2x 4's, 4x 4's, rod, conduit, misc freight...

I've floated a craddle of wood in the air before and have even used come-a-alongs.

Screwed, Bolted, Lashed... WIT. Consider some bracking under the 90's!

Depending on what your bring up you might consider dropping a little lower if bigger stuff
of course that's in respects to keep the turn radiaus hid. JMO

I'll really have to try TBK's idea!

iMuse97

i rack them with unistrut, strap them, and brace the strut. what more can you do?

Likewise.

Also, if your stubs are designed to enter a box shortly above grade, you can always add temporary nipples to bring them up higher. Then you can rack them with strut in several places, which helps stabilize the structure. Also, if there is any wiggle room for the pipe in the trench eliminate that by supporting them completely from underneath with rock ballast, gravel, etc., and brace them with strut in one or more places below grade also.

P.S. If you make the temporary abovegrade nipples long enough only a pumper truck could get concrete in them. :)
I just cover them with plugs or duck tape.

norcal

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

after 25 years in the buisness i have learned you get more or better results from most poeple if your nice to them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, there are those who will always be a "Richard Cranium" but most folks are decent if one treats them that way.

BTW, greetings to all from Germany! Be here till Sunday, nice here but there is no place like home.

Status
Not open for further replies.