Estimating software

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox39

I have also been looking for software. I've looked at all of them and have yet to find one for Mac. If there's one out there, please let me know.

ddelliquadri

esox39,

Most estimating software can probably be run on Mac hardware... if you also run Windows on it with something like Bootcamp (dualboot) or Parallels (virtual PC type software). At a minimum, I know my company's software works just fine.

Parallels
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Bootcamp
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1461

Bootcamp is included with modern Mac operating systems. The only problems are...
1) You need a license of a compatible Windows OS.
2) Most, if not all PC based estimating software do not explicitly state they are compatible. I'd venture to guess that most ARE compatible with Bootcamp whereas Parallels may be a little more quirky.

We tell our customers to speak with their Apple store or rep about running Windows-based business software on their Mac and that gets their Mac setup and ready to roll. Some of the compatibility will depend on your personal Mac hardware and software version.

In summary... YES, most estimating software can run on Mac hardware... just not natively as a MacOS software application. In the near future? I'll just say this; the Mac is here to stay and estimating software companies would be foolhardy to ignore it.

Derrick Delliquadri
Learn Estimating Resource: www.visioninfosoft.com/blog/resources

Estimating Software for Mac

Estimating Software for Mac

To all who seek estimating software for Mac.

There are a few good software products that work for a Mac. One is something like Turtlesoft it has all type of things with it and options you can purchase.

I got feed up with searching for one that worked the way I personally wanted it. So I created my own, after a sold a few copies those purchasers had many requests, and that is were much more development has went in.

A major feature that many wanted was to be able to link excel sheets to the prices so they could synchronize and update prices very quickly. Well that is done, they just have to follow a few simple rules, and it can be set up and completed in a matter of minutes.

Another feature is that when pricing changes in the database, and they open a old estimate they didnt' want to have to hunt dont the price changes, they wanted it to automatically update the pricing, and the click of a button. So now they no longer have old prices if they dont want, updating old quote is very simple.

iWinBids works for Mac, Windows, and Linux. (YES it still has a few bugs, but just shoot me an email, and I will fix what ever you find)

We are not a large company, and to be completely honest I don't want to be large. I will be dealing with 90% of the people who have issues, if you dont deal directly with me you will probably deal with one of my brothers or my wife.

Now if you wanted to use Windows on a Mac, then why not just use a windows machine. Well that is the main reason I switched to Mac I dont want Windows and I dont want to emulate it on my machine. It seems to have many more flaws and lose of data than I have ever had on Mac. I still backup, but have only had one issue with mac, and that was one that I made my self using filevault, and altering a file I should not have altered.

If you seek just an estimating software iWinBids is just a little more than Craftsman National Electrical Estimator, but has many more features. I also include a Craftsman Electrical Database for each purchase.

Just look around there is software out there, if you can't find exactly what your looking for give me a shout, I'll find some more for you to try, even if it isn't iWinBids.

Good luck

estimating software

estimating software

I need to upgrade myself but I dislike the learning curve for new things. I purchased McCormick PC scale/spread in 1989 and I'm still using it. It's in dos. The Smithsonian called looking to buy it.

davidhuck1

Regardless of what you buy there will be a learning curve. I use one of the lower end versions of Accubid. I find it is actually faster to do your device and lighting takeoff by hand with a counter. However, when it comes to estimating your conduit, wire, conduit supports, etc you will definitely enjoy having estimating software with takeoff software.

Even then it requires some modifications and/or user added assemblies. The addons can be a waist of money so be carefull. Price updates are a good idea, but make sure to check the pricing with you supplier. Many times your cost from your supplier could be much less than the "price updates".

Be smart about what you purchase and realize that the estimating software is not a catchall for an estimators lack of experience or knowledge.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.