can't figure out problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricblue

Occupation
EC
I have a customer that has a 2 speed 240v spa pump controlled by a Intermatic pneumatic time clock . I've replaced the time clock 3 times. I took the clock apart to find the micro switch fused together (low speed). It's rated for 20amp 2 hp motor. The motor is 1 1/8. The motor has been replaced 2 twice I noticed. Today I get a call the breaker is tripped and wont reset(must be a bad motor again). I can't just keep replacing these time clocks, sometimes they last 1 year sometimes 8 months. I'm lost. They do have a whole house generator which I'm wondering if may be causing this during a power loss (maybe)???? Any ideas

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I too have a spa which is controlled by an Intermatic timer. When the timer quit the first time I determined that it was because one of the micro switches had died. My switch was labeled for 20A, 240V. However, from my experience in the electrical engineering world, I have never seen a micro switch rated for more than 5 A. Also, I have never been able to find replacement switches from anyone. My guess is that Intermatic gets the switches built in India and has them labeled whatever they want. Anyway, I solved the problem by using the micro switches in the Intermatic timer to control the coils of three power relays that were designed handle the pump (hi speed, low speed) and blower currents. My pump and blower operate on 240 volts, so I bought relays with 240VAC coils and I mounted the relays in another enclosure. Now the micro switches only have to handle the relay coil currents of a few hundred milliamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.