machine guards and interlocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

james_mcquade

Hi all,

When is an interlock required on a machine guard.
We have plenty of machines with guards without interlocks, but we have a four station machine with pick and place
cylinders and manupulators that have these interlocks on the doors, so when are they required?

Does anybody know where I can find the Regulation that spells out this requirement.

thanks in advance,
james

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Hi all,

When is an interlock required on a machine guard.
We have plenty of machines with guards without interlocks, but we have a four station machine with pick and place
cylinders and manupulators that have these interlocks on the doors, so when are they required?

Does anybody know where I can find the Regulation that spells out this requirement.

thanks in advance,
james

I think you would do better looking at OSHA requirements than NEC

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Interlocks are added for two reasons - to mitigate hazards to people and to reduce the potential for machine or product damage.

There are no specific requirements for either that I am aware of. It is a design decision.

Generally, I am not in favor of adding any kind of interlock switch to a guard at all unless the guard has to be opened as part of normal operations.

Even if the guard is open, it may not introduce any additional hazards to people or to the machine or product.

Last edited:

pfalcon

ANSI B11

In general: A guard is movable if it does not require tools or excessive force to remove. If it's not movable then it doesn't require an interlock or other safety monitoring.

ANSI B11-1 and B11-19 are general. The rest tend to be specific types of machines.

As in all things safety related, general guidelines do not substitute for a proper risk analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.