Bussbar change

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the changes in the code for wire space can I change out my QO30-40 MW 200 panel that has a 30 circuit to a 40 circuit. The cans were the same just a diferant buss and cover. If I can where do I find one?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
With the changes in the code for wire space can I change out my QO30-40 MW 200 panel that has a 30 circuit to a 40 circuit. The cans were the same just a diferant buss and cover. If I can where do I find one?
I don't understand your question. What change?

Doesn't a 30-40 panel have 40 spaces when you use the piggy backs?

piggy back

piggy back

I have never insalled a 30 space panel, and have never used piggy back breakers unless I had to and only on old work. I am total electic and have a heat pump so the panel is full of pigs already. What I want to do is install a plug in surge arrester to protect my new oven, refer, micro, and everything else that has electronics in them. I know that I will be in trouble if I ever have a direct hit but the power co. had some problems 2 years ago and I did loose a micowave. So to make a short story long I am out of room. This is something that I did years ago but parts were available then. Like most everyone else I like to take the shortest route with less work.

piggy

piggy

Im sorry I only ansured one ?. The 30-40 can have a buss bar that has either a 30 1 inch breakers or 40 1 inch breakers. One buss is longer than the other. There are also 40 breaker knockouts on the larger panel but SQ D did use the same can.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
A QO 30/40 and a QO 40/40 both use the same box as you said. Just buy a new 40/40 and swap out the bus and trim. Good to go.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The "W" design has been obsolete for more than 26 years.
It was not shown in the 1984 Digest.

GearMan

I have never insalled a 30 space panel, and have never used piggy back breakers unless I had to and only on old work. I am total electic and have a heat pump so the panel is full of pigs already. What I want to do is install a plug in surge arrester to protect my new oven, refer, micro, and everything else that has electronics in them. I know that I will be in trouble if I ever have a direct hit but the power co. had some problems 2 years ago and I did loose a micowave. So to make a short story long I am out of room. This is something that I did years ago but parts were available then. Like most everyone else I like to take the shortest route with less work.

"shortest route with less work". That to me is a sub panel.

buss change

buss change

The house was built in the 70's so that sounds right, just my luck. I am looking for the easy way and 2 hr. max changing out the buss is the least amount of work. The buss mounts with a nut on top and one on the bottom and plug the breakers back in. I did see a posting with the # of a salvage company but now I cant find it. Thanks for the help.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I did get a # of a supplier of obosolete equipment and called but they did not have a 40-40 panel so I still need help finding a bone yard.
It was not called a 40-40 panel, it was simply a '40'.
As I said, you are pushing 30years old for a 'replacement' panel.
You have been searching for 2 weeks. What do you consider is your break even point for cost versus time?:?

John120/240

option #1 POCO here will install a surge supressor at the meter.

option #2 Install a new panel of the size that you need with surge suppressor breakers.

option #3 Move the desired loads to a sub panel & protect with surge suppressor.
With the extra space in the main panel you are able to install surge supressor in the
main panel

Status
Not open for further replies.