Articale 680.25 and the exceptions RE - Pool feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinZip

Hi Folks ,

Question maybe someone knows where it is on this forum , awhile back I had contacted Mike Holt to clarify the exceptions in 680.25 A - B - B1-2

about using an existing sub panel to feed a new pool sub panel , I don't rem all of what was asked of him but I do remember his reply.

His reply as I remember it , he did not care about what any exception said in that code section and that a new pool sub panel must be run in conduit from the service panel to the pool sub panel in conduit and 4 Insulated conductors and the grounding conductor must be copper.

Been having some issues with electricians in out of town areas here in Virginia that are wiring these very large homes an they have been told about running conduit with 4 Insulated conductors but they seem to get away with SER and I have told my pool contractor when I pull the permit it will be for our equipment only no feeder and if they choose to run SER they can connect it to our control panel which is also a sub panel only , and that the liability is off me.

Now I ca n not remember if it was an email from Mike Holt that he sent me or was posted some where in this forum but would like to find it and print out what he said RE this matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

WinZip

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are installing a new panel then I don't see any leeway but to wire it with the methods in 680.25(A). You can use an existing panel that is fed with SER to install the pool branch circuits. IMO you cannot use an existing panel that is fed with ser and then install another panel for the pool.

WinZip

Dennis,

I've seen two methods they seem to get away with on new homes being built.

1 - SER from main service to our control sub panel that I refuse to connect to our panel.

2 - SER to basement area sub panel and then run SER gain to our control panel.

I did see one a few years ago SER to basement sub panel then 4 conductor in conduit to our control panel and the electrician said our Inspectors let us get away with doing it that way , but from what I remember Mike Holt said no way.

WinZip

Any way to get this to MH to comment on so that I can have it for reference and print a sheet for the builders to give to there electricians.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Any way to get this to MH to comment on so that I can have it for reference and print a sheet for the builders to give to there electricians.

Thanks

I doubt it but what does MH have that the NEC doesn't. Print out the article. I will look and see if I have an old ecm with this info.

WinZip

It was something brought up in the forum about a service to a sub panel in conduit with aluminum conductors that fed another sub panel in the same way and then fed a new pool sub panel 4 conductor , And I honestly believe MH said that the grounding conductor of that whole run from the service to first panel to second panel to pool panel would need a copper ground conductor all the way back to the main service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It was something brought up in the forum about a service to a sub panel in conduit with aluminum conductors that fed another sub panel in the same way and then fed a new pool sub panel 4 conductor , And I honestly believe MH said that the grounding conductor of that whole run from the service to first panel to second panel to pool panel would need a copper ground conductor all the way back to the main service.

I agree unless an existing panel with ser is used to feed the branch circuits for the pool

WinZip

Dennis,

It is definably one of many more code articles that need to be re-worked and changed an explained in such a manner that is clear as a bell , that's my opinion.

WinZip

Here is a great Idea if someone had the means to do it.

Rather than jump back and forth in the code book to find something from this exception that sends you to another article that then send you to another article - exception 1a and on an on if you know what I mean.

Have a voice activated voice data system that you pay a monthly fee to call and ask any code question like the subject Ive been on here and this data base searches it out and gives you the Information you asked for to the tee and record it to your cell phone or some other recording device , would be a great tool for a lot of people I think , I have had times looking for something in the code book that moved me back an forth to so many different rent articles that you just get really frustrated.

Anyhow it's just an Idea

Steviechia2

Have a voice activated voice data system that you pay a monthly fee to call and ask any code question like the subject Ive been on here and this data base searches it out and gives you the Information you asked for

Yeah and then homeowners and contractors could just eliminate us ! :thumbsdown:

WinZip

Have a voice activated voice data system that you pay a monthly fee to call and ask any code question like the subject Ive been on here and this data base searches it out and gives you the Information you asked for

Yeah and then homeowners and contractors could just eliminate us ! :thumbsdown:

Steive there doinG that now to us with the trunk slammer guys and the handy men service LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.