NEMA 4X tefc motor in a class 1 div 1 and div 2 location

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
is this allowed at all?
They are common in Class I, Division 2 and there are protection techniques that would permit them in Class I, Division 1. We would need lots of details to determine if a specific application is suitable.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Is there even such a thing as a NEMA4X TEFC motor?

Maybe a UL type 4X TEFC motor. Not even sure that exists.
NEMA MG-1 doesn't recognize "Type 4X" enclosures as it applies to motors; however, virtually all NEMA "Totally Enclosed" motor types would meet 4X requirements and I understood what rey-man meant. Most explosionproof motors are basically modified TEFC or TENV. UL lists explosionproof motors for Division 1 and a few (VERY few) motors for specific Division 2 applications. No motors are listed for "ordinary locations."

Many "ordinary location" motors are acceptable "as is" in Class I, Division 2. See the last sentence in 501.125 (B): "... In Class I, Division 2 locations, the installation of open or nonexplosionproof enclosed motors, such as squirrel-cage induction motors without brushes, switching mechanisms, or similar arc-producing devices that are not identified for use in a Class I, Division 2 location, shall be permitted."

rey-man

They are common in Class I, Division 2 and there are protection techniques that would permit them in Class I, Division 1. We would need lots of details to determine if a specific application is suitable.

what sort of details should i look for? ...to determine if it is suitable to Class 1 div1 location.

the nameplate does not even tell the "T" rating of the motor.

as always, thanks for your responses.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
what sort of details should i look for? ...to determine if it is suitable to Class 1 div1 location.

the nameplate does not even tell the "T" rating of the motor.

as always, thanks for your responses.

If it is suitable for use in a division 1 area it will say so on the nameplate.

rey-man

in a cls 1 div 1 area, if the motor needs to connect to a toggle switch, do you need to put a seal 18" from within the motor and the switch, if the run is more than 3 ft?

is there such a thing that at certain HP ratings, seals are not required?

thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.