Cover screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Spanner type tamper resistant. Need to figure out the spacing between the two holes and buy the appropriate tip.

iwire

Staff member
I picked up this exact kit for about $19 and it has almost any tamper resistant tip out there, including 4 spanner types.

404-002a.jpg

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I picked up this exact kit for about $19 and it has almost any tamper resistant tip out there, including 4 spanner types.

That sure beats trying to find a pair of needle nose pliers that will fit.

Does it have those little triange shaped bits that the kids video games all use? Trying to find a straight blade screwdriver just the right size to wedge in those triangles is getting old.

iwire

Staff member
Does it have those little triange shaped bits that the kids video games all use?

Yes ............. but you often need a thin one to fit in the deep holes they have and by the time you put the tip in the holder it is too fat.

Amazon has some good pictures of it

hurk27

we have them around here also at various railroad salvage places they are under the ITT tool name brand for about $5-$6 bucks for about 40 bits, I also found them to break easily and learned to not put much pressure on them, I used to have a name brand set from years ago, back then they were over $100.00 and you had to prove you were in an industry that needed them.

A quick Google came up with hundreds of places to buy them from:

Security bit set

Or Bing: security screw bit set

Last edited:

btharmy

Has anyone ever this type of cover screw (screw head has two small holes)?

I was hired by a gc to replace all of the coverplate screws with spanner "tamper proof" screws in a council center for troubled youths. Problem is, he wanted me to put the plastic covers back on. :happysad: I say "they will just break the cover" he says "if you install stainless cover plates and they get one off, it can be used as a weapon" I say "that's what the tamper proof screws are for". He finally came around. I think he didn't want to spend the money on the stainless plates. Typical gc mentality.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And you know this, how?:?
Illinois had a prison building and renovation spree a number of years ago. I think I worked in 5 of them, including the now closed Joliet prision. We did a lot of work in a number of them. One of our foreman spent more time there than a lot of inmates...he worked on various prison projects for about 7 years straight.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Illinois had a prison building and renovation spree a number of years ago. I think I worked in 5 of them, including the now closed Joliet prision. We did a lot of work in a number of them. One of our foreman spent more time there than a lot of inmates...he worked on various prison projects for about 7 years straight.

"How long do you thing this job will take?"

"5 to 10 years"

Status
Not open for further replies.