Watertight plug and receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjenks

Trying to figure out an economic solution for flooding of an existing outdoor receptacle. There is a de-watering pump in a basin buried outside that is plugged into a GFCI breaker protected receptacle. The receptacle is installed in an Arlington GP19 post with weatherproof cover. The pump is designed to remove water upon flooding of the area and the most important time for the pump to work is during high rains. Unfortunately, with the recent Isaac rain the water went so high that is covered the receptacle and thus tripped the GFCI breaker. One idea is to just cut the 5-20P plug and install it in a water proof sealant junction box, but the manufacture tells me we lose the UL listing and thus the warranty and we lose the local disconnect. This would be the same problem if I replace the plug with a NEMA 6P plug.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a device that could be installed over the existing 5-20P that would make it watertight so I can install a NEMA 6P receptacle in the Arlington post and just plug it in? This way I don't violate the warranty on the pump, can still locally disconnect it, and keep the pump running if the water rises over the receptacle?

Bjenks

If I can't find a way then I will raise it with a GP37, but then it starts to look like a monument and I can't be guaranteed that I really solved my problem on the next flood, only lowered the odds.

renosteinke

I will flatly challenge the manufacturers' statement on this one.

There have been a number of recent changes to the UL standard for cord-connected pumps, and I think the manufacturer is wrong. I think you can 'cut the plug.' I'll bet UL will say something different from the manufacturer regarding that 'lose the listing' shibboleth.

You want UL's opinion .... as UL.

Here's another solution: have a cord & cap exit your final box (or conduit body). Replace the plug on the pump cord with the appropriate one. Also get the accessory rubber boots that the plug maker has to make the connection submersible. I've used the Hubbell arrangement, and it works. You can unplug at will - yet I have a customer who routinely has these assemblies under 4ft. of water.

Bjenks

I think I am going to go with the "cut the plug off" solution and install the Hubbel 14W47H plug. But I am not sure how to specify the 15W47H connector as the existing installation is underground PVC conduit coming up into the PVC Arlington post and about halfway up it is only THHN wire connected to the receptacle. I believe that all the NEMA 6R receptacles/connectors are connected by flexible cords and cables and thus I have to transition in the arlington post from THHN to SOW and then out a wallplate with the SOW to the 15W47H. Not sure if there is a compliant wallplate or terminal solution, but willing to listen to ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.