User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please critic the attached summer camp design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmtjfw View Post
    They are pretty much dead set against composting toilets.
    That's funny. You have to understand that quite a few of the locals may have grown up with outhouses. Then you get the contingent that won't have a composting toilet but will not give up their outhouse.

Since it's a population control and intimidation tool, there are a lot of secret unwritten rules.

If you site build or buy a modular unit, there's not a huge cost difference between a composting toilet and a residential sewage treatment unit (aerated tank). If it were me, I would actually look at going into business and providing a larger local system and subscribing the neighbors. 10 or 20 homes is not a big plant but there are probably advantages in footprint and slope.

If it's anything like Ct, there's a regional heath district and then an unwritten regular appeal process through the State Health Dept for normally approved systems. Aerated tanks are not in the health code here so for those, they are by special permit from DEEP. If the local district treats you like you are talking to god, file a complaint on their license with the issuing agency, appeal their decision, build it and litigate it at the same time.

The local health code does require the district to research and adopt newer tech, but they don't enforce the rules on themselves. They put the brakes on growth and play their game sharply. Lots of tricks like not allowing upgrades from seasonal to year round, not allowing additions or teardowns.

The system that works can be very simple. I've seen them hint about using a greenhouse. I believe they regulate subsurface disposal but not surface disposal. So if your system treats and yields a useful easy effluent, but they won't give you credit for a treatment system, requiring a huge sanded fill system, you may be able to trade the huge leach field for a greenhouse (disposing of the effluent through the greenhouse).

40' x 170' is a city lot and there's no way you're going to fit a conventional leaching field with the clearances to the well and surface waters. If they're pointing you in that direction it's a huge cost and not everyone will be able to upgrade or comply. Then they will say you have a non conforming system and not allow upgrades like a modern structure or year round living for those that want that.

With a FAST system and a greenhouse to drop the effluent into, you could easily have a system big enough for year round use. You have to be careful if their agenda is actually to prevent year round use of those structures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because they grew up on outhouses, they are dead set against composting toilets!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    =

"Please critic the attached summer camp design:
    I'm wiring a small summer camp for a relative.....Are there any suggestions you might have for the design?"
    In your design, ...I did not see anything mentioned about submitting the plans to the
    local AHJ for a plan review and obtaining a permit [ i.e. - let the AHJ determine
    if it is a Residential or Commercial application ].......This is a building code determination,
    and not an electrical code one !

=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by north star View Post
    =

In your design, ...I did not see anything mentioned about submitting the plans to the
    local AHJ for a plan review and obtaining a permit [ i.e. - let the AHJ determine
    if it is a Residential or Commercial application ].......This is a building code determination,
    and not an electrical code one !

=
    There is no AHJ. There are no building permits. There is no Occupancy Permit. The building is outside any incorporated municipality. There is a home owners' association. The only electrical inspection is for the power company. It ends at the main breaker and includes proper grounding.

The State Fire Marshal's Office has state-wide jurisdiction, but they are forbidden by law to inspect 1- and 2- family dwellings (until after the fire). The state motto is Montani Semper Liberi -- Mountaineers are Always Free.

Municipalities can have inspection departments which can enforce full-building electrical inspections on new and added wiring, plumbing inspections, building-code inspections, rental-property inspections, and even go around and check the height of your grass.

The building is intended for use as a dwelling -- people plan to cook and eat, go to the bathroom, sleep, and hang out.

It has a kitchen which will have a fixed cooking appliance -- an electric stove along with microwave and refrig.
    It has a bathroom which will have a toilet, sink, shower.
    It has a bedroom and a sleeping loft for kids.

It is taxed as a residence.

I'll just wing it and say it is a single family dwelling.