User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Estimating question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Estimating question

    The Job includes two outside spotlights with a switch and receptacle in garage:

    Two outside simple spotlights

    The kind with two screw in bulbs. They'll go under the eves in the back of the house. They are at the ends of either side about 70 feet between them. Both will go to a switch near the exit of the house to the backyard. The power will come from the panel.

    Receptacle in the garage:
    He needs it near his garage door. The builders obviously left one out by his front of his garage. I'm likely going to have to tap into one of the receptacles in the back of the garage and bring it out to the front, which will be a pain.

    Misc info:
    175 feet of #14 wire for outside lights & receptacles
    Panel is fairly close to where switch will be
    Supplies $90-120

    *Some unknowns:
    *Didn't go up in the attic. It was a rush explanation of job information from him (my fault there).
    *Drill holes for wires in joist/rafters?
    *Lay 2x4s for a track across joists?
    *Attic likely clean. His garage is spotless and so is the house.


    For you pros, how many hours would you bill for this? What would be your total bill? I'll tell you what I bid and why afterward.


    TIA.
    Last edited by Bacchus; 05-29-14 at 05:15 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    a bit more

    Sorry, this may seem like such a simple 'bid' and indeed it is. Who cares is I get it or not. It's just a neighbor friend who may really think my prices are too high.



    I bid 5 hours for the job + supplies.


    TIA

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clarkesville, Georgia
    Posts
    2,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 if i get it done in 5 then i don't have to work any more that day

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Appleton, Wi
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    The Job includes two outside spotlights with a switch and receptacle in garage:

    Two outside simple spotlights

    The kind with two screw in bulbs. They'll go under the eves in the back of the house. They are at the ends of either side about 70 feet between them. Both will go to a switch near the exit of the house to the backyard. The power will come from the panel.

    Receptacle in the garage:
    He needs it near his garage door. The builders obviously left one out by his front of his garage. I'm likely going to have to tap into one of the receptacles in the back of the garage and bring it out to the front, which will be a pain.

    Misc info:
    175 feet of #14 wire for outside lights & receptacles
    Panel is fairly close to where switch will be
    Supplies $90-120


    *Some unknowns:
    *Didn't go up in the attic. It was a rush explanation of job information from him (my fault there).
    *Drill holes for wires in joist/rafters?
    *Lay 2x4s for a track across joists?
    *Attic likely clean. His garage is spotless and so is the house.


    For you pros, how many hours would you bill for this? What would be your total bill? I'll tell you what I bid and why afterward.


    TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    Sorry, this may seem like such a simple 'bid' and indeed it is. Who cares is I get it or not. It's just a neighbor friend who may really think my prices are too high.



    I bid 5 hours for the job + supplies.


    TIA
    If its a neighbor friend, no bid at all. Time and material is the way to go.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    8 if i get it done in 5 then i don't have to work any more that day
    You are so right. I was thinking that. Why would anyone bid a job for 5 hours because you know for sure you can't do anything afterward. I'll think about that if I go to a house that wants a small bid on something over 4 hours.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyrick View Post
    If its a neighbor friend, no bid at all. Time and material is the way to go.
    Perhaps not that good of a friend. I'd barely charge or do it for free if he were a true friend. I'd say that we are just friendly with each other.

    My problem with doing T&M is he asked for a price for the job. Perhaps he wanted to compare? Or if it were too much then forget it. Also, I'm not a very efficient worker. At least not on residential. Most of my experience is industrial and commercial. It's like a whole 'nother ball game with residential.

    Laterz.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,388
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    The Job includes two outside spotlights with a switch and receptacle in garage: The power will come from panel.

    Misc info:
    175 feet of #14 wire for outside lights & receptacles
    Panel is fairly close to where switch will be
    Supplies $90-120

    Who provides the spotlights and lamps?

    Power from panel? extended or new circuit probably requires combination arc fault breaker. If it's say a cutler CH that's expensive.

    Any permit cost?

    As readydave8 says it's probably an allday job.

    It's summer and attics get hot so it's not a good idea to work up there to long at one time.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Who provides the spotlights and lamps?

    Power from panel? extended or new circuit probably requires combination arc fault breaker. If it's say a cutler CH that's expensive.

    Any permit cost?

    As readydave8 says it's probably an allday job.

    It's summer and attics get hot so it's not a good idea to work up there to long at one time.

    1) no permit
    2) I supply everything
    3) AFCI should not be needed. These are for outside lights and it's in a garage.
    * I was thinking. Wow.... you know, there will be a switch inside a small office. Do I still need one??? This is scaring me now. I was thinking this is a circuit for outside but maybe not.

    4) all day job, right. I'll remember that next time. I agree with you. It should be an all dayer for one person. I might split it up.

    Thanks for the tip.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Appleton, Wi
    Posts
    495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    1) no permit
    2) I supply everything
    3) AFCI should not be needed. These are for outside lights and it's in a garage.
    * I was thinking. Wow.... you know, there will be a switch inside a small office. Do I still need one??? This is scaring me now. I was thinking this is a circuit for outside but maybe not.

    4) all day job, right. I'll remember that next time. I agree with you. It should be an all dayer for one person. I might split it up.

    Thanks for the tip.
    Or just walk away. I gave up on side jobs years ago. I'd rather be boating on a nice weekend than crawling around in a hot attic.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    6,388
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
    1) no permit

    3) AFCI should not be needed. These are for outside lights and it's in a garage.
    * I was thinking. Wow.... you know, there will be a switch inside a small office. Do I still need one??? This is scaring me now. I was thinking this is a circuit for outside but maybe not.
    If there is no permit then don't worry about it.

    Cash sale and no receipt.

    I was only thinking of the little things (cost) that can come up when a job is inspected. There are areas here that would charge $200 for a permit and could go as high a $65 on a Arc fault ( just for once switch in an office ).
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •