SAFETY QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckman

We are working in a underground cement wiring duct with atleast 30 conductors passing through , we are troubleshooting inside. There is water inside this box which is continualy pumped out, most of the conductors are live with current passing through them, all different size cables from 250 -700 mcm. Is this type of work considered live work ? Duct is about 8'x8'x8'.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
How could it possibly NOT be considered live?

Considering where you are, I wish you my best. No amount of money in the world would get me into such a water laden pit with multiple, huge, live conductors looking for a fault.

You posted this as a safety question. Safety first. Company almost last. One spot ahead of in-laws.

:)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We are working in a underground cement wiring duct with atleast 30 conductors passing through , we are troubleshooting inside. There is water inside this box which is continualy pumped out, most of the conductors are live with current passing through them, all different size cables from 250 -700 mcm. Is this type of work considered live work ? Duct is about 8'x8'x8'.

Presumably you know how to prevent contact of yourself with anything that is electrically energized by appropriate measures.

I am not sure that the water issue adds any special danger, if it is not covering anything that is energized.

I might be more worryed about it being a confined space.

puckman

They have a dead breaker and we need to locate or make a repair of some sort. There are two ducts we must enter to locate the mess.
We had five differnt electricians with five different opinuins about work.

WorkSafe

Not only that, but I would think this location is a "permit required confined space" as well, with another slew of requirements. Be Safe.

btharmy

I hope you have a "sniffer", harness and extrication tripod/cable. The fact that it is a confined space can be much more dangerous than the live, insulated conductors passing thru the vault.

Status
Not open for further replies.