Meter grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickyboothe

Our new inspector has requested that we remove the screw and strap on our 200 amp single phase 120/240 volt meter socket ( the middle terminal , the one with a tag that says do not remove except for a ungrounded service, which this is a standard residential service) and run our bonding conductor to the left hand ground lug and source side bonding bushing . I am confused . Why are we removing this strap when it says not to . We also have a bonding bushing on our service disconnect with the neutral and panel bonded together with a bonding bushing which I think is correct with our ufer terminated in it

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Tell the inspector he is incorrect and you cannot modify listed equipment as it is made for the purpose. If he argues then contact his superior.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inspector is misinformed and likely doesn't understand the function of bonding the metal meter enclosure to the service neutral. Since they're new I would cut them some slack and explain it to them. As mentioned if that gets you nowhere then a call to this person's supervisor is needed.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
The only thing I can think of is maybe the inspector is questioning the effectiveness of the puny bonding jumper and method of attachment to the meter socket ( Assuming this is a Milbank ) which is rather marginal, although it is listed by UL. I always remove the red tag and re install the jumper to try and get the most metal to metal contact in the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.