480 volt single phase battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

wharehouse

Hello all, new here and need a bit of info, appreciate the input. Does a battery charger labeled 480 volt single phase need to be fed with A and B phase from a 480 volt 4 wire system ? Also is there a code violation feeding this equipment using 2 poles only on a 3 pole single trip 20 amp breaker ? The battery charger is for an electric forklift and is labeled for 208/240/480 volt, since there is a 277/480 volt panel available, the load would be approx 11.5 amps at 480 volts. It was supplied with a 2 pole/w ground blade type cord cap, rated to 50 amps. Am I limited to the length of the supply cord,within reason, using cord cap as disconnect, to a hard piped condiut and receptacle within 8 feet of panel. ? ...btw ,all equipment is 2006 year model...

thanks again,

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
the load would be approx 11.5 amps at 480 volts. It was supplied with a 2 pole/w ground blade type cord cap, rated to 50 amps.

You will need to install a 20A rec and change the cord body to 20A. (T210.21(B)(3))

No problems using 2 poles of a 3? breaker. Care should be given to change the chargers tranny taps, control tranny taps and fuses.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Does a battery charger labeled 480 volt single phase need to be fed with A and B phase from a 480 volt 4 wire system ?

Also, since you have a 3 pole 20 available, you would be wise to choose the 2 phases with the least existing load.

wharehouse

You will need to install a 20A rec and change the cord body to 20A. (T210.21(B)(3))

No problems using 2 poles of a 3? breaker. Care should be given to change the chargers tranny taps, control tranny taps and fuses.

I have the cord body and receptacle, and since I have no idea what the previous voltage was, checking the taps was something I had not yet considered.
big thanks for the heads up and appreciate your input..

kwired

Electron manager
I have the cord body and receptacle, and since I have no idea what the previous voltage was, checking the taps was something I had not yet considered.
big thanks for the heads up and appreciate your input..

If it had a 50 amp cord cap there is pretty good chance it was previously connected to 208 or 240 volts. If it is rated 11.5 amps @ 480 it would be rated 23 amps @ 240 and about 26.5 amps @ 208.

230 volt rating should come out to needing a 30 amp circuit, but the 208 volt rating would put you over 30 amps after figuring in 125% for continuous load, and receptacles jump from 30 to 50 amp ratings, maiking it most likely to have been connected to 208 volts if things were done properly.

wharehouse

If it had a 50 amp cord cap there is pretty good chance it was previously connected to 208 or 240 volts. If it is rated 11.5 amps @ 480 it would be rated 23 amps @ 240 and about 26.5 amps @ 208.

230 volt rating should come out to needing a 30 amp circuit, but the 208 volt rating would put you over 30 amps after figuring in 125% for continuous load, and receptacles jump from 30 to 50 amp ratings, maiking it most likely to have been connected to 208 volts if things were done properly.

yep, I agree,the equipment was labeled as such. I suspect the manufacture originally supplied the equipment for all 3 potentials. The thing I dont recall is seeing multi tap connections when I looked
inside the unit, seems there was only one set of lugs. I only glanced quickly as I wanted to provide a longer supply cord. I will be out there early next week and look again..

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
There usually changed by re-arranging buss bars or jumpers for the charging transformer, and moving a jumper or two on the control transformer, should be a diagram on the inside of the door, or if your lucky enough, they provided you with an installation manual.

wharehouse

There usually changed by re-arranging buss bars or jumpers for the charging transformer, and moving a jumper or two on the control transformer, should be a diagram on the inside of the door, or if your lucky enough, they provided you with an installation manual.

No such luck with the manual, as I get back out there I will look deeper and contact the manufacture if it is not obvious, simple bus bar relocation should be up front, of course it is relatively new equipment, who knows what manufacturing cost cuts were in affect, (as in optional equipmet) you would think a perm. diagram would be inside. labels dont lie..

S'mise

Might have to take the back panel off to access the taps. Of cource, another clue to its previous voltage would be the fuse size (if available)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Might have to take the back panel off to access the taps. Of cource, another clue to its previous voltage would be the fuse size (if available)

Not necessarily, I always change the fuse sizes, but I know many electricians that do not. The control transformer will indicate what voltage it was previously connected to though. Most chargers you access through the front, it is on a hinge, and all connections are available there.

wharehouse

finished install

finished install

I thought I would follow up and say thanks for input. There was a manual in the door, though pretty much knew what I needed from help here.
The previous voltage was 208, the taps where preset common spade type lug that just pull/push on, just followed diagram on inside of door, there was a control transformer that needed taps also changed. And finally a fuse from 35 amps to 20 amps to protect the new #12's on the single phase 480 v circuit. All good thanks again. I did have a bit of confusion checking DC output, I think voltage varies based on what the battery needs or what cycle it may be in. This unit will be under a service contract, so the tech can explain various levels or states of charge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.