Lamps and the new energy code

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Unless I've missed something I can't find where you are required to install lamps in the fixtures.

210.70 requires "lighting outlets" not lamps.

Article 100 defines lighting outlet as: Lighting Outlet. An outlet intended for the direct connection of a lampholder or luminaire.

As i'm reading this the lighting outlet is "intended" for the direct connection of a luminaire (the luminaire would have the lamp included) but I dont see mandatory language for the installation of a lamp or a luminaire for that matter in 210.70.

Pete

When it comes to any energy code I don't think it matter who or when the lamps are installed, just that the installed lamps meet the code.

Now get into a workplace and you may have minimal task lighting required in certain areas on top of all that, select the wrong type of lighting to achieve minimal task lighting and you could violate energy code.

pete m.

When it comes to any energy code I don't think it matter who or when the lamps are installed, just that the installed lamps meet the code.

Now get into a workplace and you may have minimal task lighting required in certain areas on top of all that, select the wrong type of lighting to achieve minimal task lighting and you could violate energy code.

I agree that if you install the lamps they would have to be high efficacy but there are few instances (mainly from the building codes) that even require illumination.

Neither the NEC or the energy code require installation of the lamps as far as I have seen.

Pete

kwired

Electron manager
I agree that if you install the lamps they would have to be high efficacy but there are few instances (mainly from the building codes) that even require illumination.

Neither the NEC or the energy code require installation of the lamps as far as I have seen.

Pete

Contractor to owner: This will pass inspection - as long as we don't install any lamps.

Owner to contractor: I wouldn't have requested lighting fixtures if I couldn't actually get any light out of them.

:eek:hmy:

pete m.

Contractor to owner: This will pass inspection - as long as we don't install any lamps.

Owner to contractor: I wouldn't have requested lighting fixtures if I couldn't actually get any light out of them.

:eek:hmy:

:lol: I know it isn't practical but the OP asked if he was required by code to install lamps.

Pete

kwired

Electron manager
:lol: I know it isn't practical but the OP asked if he was required by code to install lamps.

Pete

We have gone to the point that the old saying:

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Needing a disclaimer like: except for the fine print and any technicalities.

Of course the disclaimer will say the same thing I just said but will need a minimum of three paragraphs to get it done.

RICK NAPIER

Pete

I have done a number of inspections of new homes where they only installed 1 energy efficient bulb in fixtures to show they work and leave the rest empty. It passes.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The California energy code doesn't really care what lamps you install. It controls what kind of lamps the fixture is designed for. A screw in CFL or LED is considered the same efficacy as an incandescent. Hi efficacy fixtures must have a socket that will not accept low efficacy lamps. The most common socket for high efficacy fixtures is the GU24.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The California energy code doesn't really care what lamps you install. It controls what kind of lamps the fixture is designed for. A screw in CFL or LED is considered the same efficacy as an incandescent. Hi efficacy fixtures must have a socket that will not accept low efficacy lamps. The most common socket for high efficacy fixtures is the GU24.

That is correct, also if you try to get cute and not install a fixture, but just blank it off, you have to assign 200 watts to that blank.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That makes it a little easier to understand why the international code gives a choice of normal fixtures that have high efficacy already installed or fixtures that will accept only high-efficacy.
I have seen aftermarket kits for CFL globes that have a long, narrow center contact on standard base, used in conjunction with a one-way screw-in adapter washer that will let only those non-standard bases make contact in the socket. Do you have any idea whether those would qualify?

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That makes it a little easier to understand why the international code gives a choice of normal fixtures that have high efficacy already installed or fixtures that will accept only high-efficacy.
I have seen aftermarket kits for CFL globes that have a long, narrow center contact on standard base, used in conjunction with a one-way screw-in adapter washer that will let only those non-standard bases make contact in the socket. Do you have any idea whether those would qualify?

I had this issue with some LED retrofits and the state says that they are not on the states approved list. Yet.

kwired

Electron manager
That is correct, also if you try to get cute and not install a fixture, but just blank it off, you have to assign 200 watts to that blank.
Why 200?

NEC says 180 VA. The energy codes are all about reducing energy yet your saying we have to add even more load for something that kind of sort of is not even there?

God forbid these people may bring in portable lamps with incandescent bulbs in them after they occupy the building and plug them into the general purpose receptacles:roll:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Why 200?

NEC says 180 VA. The energy codes are all about reducing energy yet your saying we have to add even more load for something that kind of sort of is not even there?

God forbid these people may bring in portable lamps with incandescent bulbs in them after they occupy the building and plug them into the general purpose receptacles:roll:

Very hard to explain, since the energy code here in CA is actually two book (Res, Nonres) about the size of the NEC. You are allowed X numbers of watts per square foot. Watt's installed can never exceed watts allowed.

iwire

Staff member
Very hard to explain, since the energy code here in CA is actually two book (Res, Nonres) about the size of the NEC. You are allowed X numbers of watts per square foot. Watt's installed can never exceed watts allowed.

And that 200 watts assigned to the blank plate counts as 'installed' I imagine.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Actually the California Energy Code is 180 watts for blank covers not the 200 watts that John had stated. I'm not sure how they came up with the 180 watts since the NEC 180va load per outlet does not apply to dwelling units so maybe in is just a coincidence. The idea behind it is builders and homeowners were installing blank covers instead of high efficacy fixtures then installing the low efficacy fixtures as the inspector walked out the door.

If anyone wants to read through the residential lighting requirements here is a link:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2008publications/CEC-400-2008-016/rev1_chapters/RCM_Chapter_6_Lighting.pdf

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
For residential use, the problem has been recognized:
Portable table and floor lamps are also classified as luminaires, but they are not covered by the Residential Lighting Standards.
In commercial environments, the management is able and required to exercise more control.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I had this issue with some LED retrofits and the state says that they are not on the states approved list. Yet.

From CA code for LED retrofits (and even original installation of factory-modified luminaries):

Screw-base adaptors shall not be used, even if the manufacturer considers them to be “permanent”;

NO “Permanent” Adaptors
The Standards do not recognize any adaptor as being able to permanently converting one type of luminaire to another type for compliance with the Standards. For example, there are no “permanent” adaptors for converting a luminaire with incandescent screw-base socket to a permanently installed compact fluorescent luminaire, regardless of manufacturer declarations.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Actually the California Energy Code is 180 watts for blank covers not the 200 watts that John had stated. I'm not sure how they came up with the 180 watts since the NEC 180va load per outlet does not apply to dwelling units so maybe in is just a coincidence. The idea behind it is builders and homeowners were installing blank covers instead of high efficacy fixtures then installing the low efficacy fixtures as the inspector walked out the door.

If anyone wants to read through the residential lighting requirements here is a link:
http://www.energy.ca.gov/2008publications/CEC-400-2008-016/rev1_chapters/RCM_Chapter_6_Lighting.pdf

Sorry, Curt is correct. I'm not sure where I got the 200 watts from, unless that's something that's coming up, but I looked and couldn't find it, so I'm just going to blame it on old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.