CTSoft like VFD programming spftware for Allen Bradley PowerFlex drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer4

I have worked with Emerson VFDs and the various parameters could be selected by using a software program called CTSoft. It allowed for a graphical interface to set parameters and select routing of signals. The software could be run before connecting to a VFD and the values stored on the computer, then when you connected to the VFD the already selected and saved parameters could just be loaded into the VFD.

Does Allen Bradley have any such program for their PowerFlex VFDs?

Thank you for your help.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have worked with Emerson VFDs and the various parameters could be selected by using a software program called CTSoft. It allowed for a graphical interface to set parameters and select routing of signals. The software could be run before connecting to a VFD and the values stored on the computer, then when you connected to the VFD the already selected and saved parameters could just be loaded into the VFD.

Thank you for your help.
yes they do. drivetools i think it is called. might even be free. talk to your ab distributor.

eHunter

Thank you for your help.

Yes, AB has several software packages available and can be found at the URLs below.
http://www.ab.com/linked/drives/drvappsw/files/9329-PP001B-EN-P.pdf
http://www.ab.com/support/abdrives/webupdate/index.html

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Actually, DrivesTools will be going away in a few months, it is being replaced by a new free software package called Connected Components Workbench. CCW is also used to program the new SMC-50 Soft Starters, the Micro 800 PLCs and the small PanelView Component HMIs that go with them.

You can download CCW directly off the web from here:
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/programmable-controllers/connected-components-workbench-software

Register it, they will notify you of changes.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The software may be free...the thingamajig that makes the connection is close to $500 and the tech I watched yesterday had to reboot several painstakingly long times. Not that I was watching the time tick second by second.
All of the next generation drives are now coming with standard USB ports on them.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
have not used them yet but supposed to be pretty feature rich and substantially less costly than current offerings.
The first one released, the 525, is less expensive IF you have to use Ethernet or some other comm system, because the comms are built-in. But it is not a "low end" drive by far. Right now the PF4 is still less expensive if all you need is a basic shaft turner. There will be a lower cost more basic version w/o comms released next year some time.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
There will be a lower cost more basic version w/o comms released next year some time.
But still including whatever you need to have to connect to the PC for setup, I presume. Would it be in the form of an adapter that you hook up and then take away again?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
But still including whatever you need to have to connect to the PC for setup, I presume. Would it be in the form of an adapter that you hook up and then take away again?

Yes. In the new designs, the control module comes off of the drive and on the back is a standard USB port that you can plug into your PC with an off-the-shelf USB cable from Office Depot. The drive control module is then powered by the USB so you can program it off-line at your desk without having to power up the drive.

powerflex-525-01.png 525-e.png

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The drive control module is then powered by the USB so you can program it off-line at your desk without having to power up the drive.
I am duly impressed! You or your crew just have to remember which control goes on which motor after you program it. ;)
I bet it makes repairs a lot easier too, with less to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.