Corner grounded

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
All this talk about ungrounded delta and corner grounded delta makes me wonder. Are there any POCO's out there that will still furnish such service? I'm not aware of any that will supply anything other than grounded, center tapped single phase or grounded Y. Anything other than a Y is pretty much a thing of the past, even on large services.

Delta supply is not extinct, but ungrounded or corner grounded is not generally offered by POCO's around here.

There may be exceptions to larger industries that have full time electricians on staff. Of course in those cases they may be purchasing power at the medium voltage level and then any corner grounded, ungrounded, or impedance grounded systems are separately derived from customer equipment and not the service.

mivey

All this talk about ungrounded delta and corner grounded delta makes me wonder. Are there any POCO's out there that will still furnish such service?
Yes. I know of 240, 480, and 600 volt ungrounded deltas as well as grounded 240 and 480 deltas.

I'm not aware of any that will supply anything other than grounded, center tapped single phase or grounded Y. Anything other than a Y is pretty much a thing of the past, even on large services.
That would be a shame and it is not so in many areas. The wye-delta bank has advantages.

ronaldrc

Most of the corner grounded systems I have seen are in "heavy" industry where they have chosen that system so as to reduce downtime from electrical "faults".
Locally most are 480 volt, but 240 volt are sometimes used.

Augie ,you forgot to explain these faults are the ones that usually take out the main and shut the whole plant down.

Status
Not open for further replies.