What Would Happen IF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Suppose you have a 24 volt resistant element and put 24V DC to it? Would it make a difference if the trany was 120V-24 DC rather than AC

growler

Suppose you have a 24 volt resistant element and put 24V DC to it? Would it make a difference if the trany was 120V-24 DC rather than AC

I don't think it makes any difference at all.

I once converted some heating elements from DC to AC power and I didn't notice any change. They were worried that we wouldn't have as much control over the temp. but the drive system worked just as well and with much fewer problems.

SG-1

The resistor element would be fine. If a thermostat is used to control the element, it might not be able to break the DC current. Incandesent bulbs work great too on DC , you just need a DC rated switch.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
[/B]

Aw c'mon Dennis fess up: What did you mis-hook up that did not smoke and burn up?:D

Actual I did hook up a 24V defogger shower mirror but the customer says it gets very hot. I thought about changing the voltage to 12V instead of 24V so it did not get too hot. You would think there would be a thermostat built in but there does not seem to be.

Anyway I think the DC came to me when I was looking for a plug in trany and saw some of them were dc output.

Ceb- Believe it or not you can fit all the alcohol I every drank and it wouldn't fill up an 8 oz glass. I am still a putz tho....:D

ronaldrc

No, If it where really 24 VAC it would not get as hot.

Don't forget our 24 volt AC measured with our meter is really 33.95 volts.

Your meter reads RMS.

But as Bob said it would be the same.

Ronald :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
All the alcohol I ever drank? Well, I saw a commercial once that suggested that I drink Canada dry. It's been a long haul! :happyyes:

Besoeker

Don't forget our 24 volt AC measured with our meter is really 33.95 volts.
It really isn't. It's that value instantaneously twice per cycle if you take the absolute value for both negative ad positive half cycles.
The effective value or RMS for 24Vac is the same as 24Vdc.

But not every component/circuit can work with either.
A resistive heater would.

ceb58

After getting by the drinking humor.
Actual I did hook up a 24V defogger shower mirror but the customer says it gets very hot. I thought about changing the voltage to 12V instead of 24V so it did not get too hot. You would think there would be a thermostat built in but there does not seem to be.
This popped in my head. The heated mirrors on my trucks and car are on timers. They will run for about 3-5 min. and then shut off.

kwired

Electron manager
It really isn't. It's that value instantaneously twice per cycle if you take the absolute value for both negative ad positive half cycles.
The effective value or RMS for 24Vac is the same as 24Vdc.

But not every component/circuit can work with either.
A resistive heater would.

Beat me to it, I was going to say something similar.

After getting by the drinking humor. This popped in my head. The heated mirrors on my trucks and car are on timers. They will run for about 3-5 min. and then shut off.

Not a bad idea to put them on a timer, otherwise I can see such a load being left on quite frequently. They only need a few minutes to accomplish the task anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.