Support for 4 sq. box with receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger86

NEC 314.23 (A) says "rigidly and securely fastened in place" ....
There is a metallic 4 sq. box with a twistlock receptacle being supported by one sheet metal screw (appears to be #12) and a 1/2" close nipple (could be a 3/4" nipple) , mounted on the side of a surface mounted panelboard. I would say that this box is not "rigidly and securely fastened in place". Is there a minimum size and quantity of screw or bolt to use or is this just left to the electrician's interpretation ?
Thanks.

Ranger86

I don't think the nipple meets NEC 314.23 (F) requirement to be act as the box support..... so I am thinking that technically it is only supported by one sheet metal screw.. .

iwire

Staff member
I don't think the nipple meets NEC 314.23 (F) requirement to be act as the box support..... so I am thinking that technically it is only supported by one sheet metal screw.. .

I think technically you are right. I also think it is secure and I would not worry about such inconsequential things.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
NEC 314.23 (A) says "rigidly and securely fastened in place" ....
There is a metallic 4 sq. box with a twistlock receptacle being supported by one sheet metal screw (appears to be #12) and a 1/2" close nipple (could be a 3/4" nipple) , mounted on the side of a surface mounted panelboard. I would say that this box is not "rigidly and securely fastened in place". Is there a minimum size and quantity of screw or bolt to use or is this just left to the electrician's interpretation ?
Thanks.
There is no minimum size or number of screws. I would, and have used just one screw in the exact situation described. As a matter of fact I have used just one drywall anchor because the code says I need to, knowing the close nipple is far stronger and will hold things in place just fine.

kwired

Electron manager
Why are we hung up on the screw(s)?

Though maybe not the preferred method in most cases, couldn't this be secured with adhesives?

What method of fastening and how secure it really is depends on the conditions of use and abuse it is expected to be subject to.

Dare I mention it could be welded? I know it says somewhere that we can not weld raceways, but I don't think there is any such language for cabinets, boxes and other similar items.

Ranger86

I am an Engineer , sometimes I am called to take a look at installations that most of the times somebody else has already tagged as violations and I need to reference all of the codes that I can find to either prove or disprove the violation.... this forum helps out since the code has many gray areas ...

Status
Not open for further replies.