User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: All my VFD's are tripping on Over-voltage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    480 comes from a transformer from 4160v....

Might there be a loose connection upstream causing a huge voltage spike? Not so likely with your good fn rf filters, but?

I too don't see the drive dc bus caps adding with all that isolation between the two voltages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Substation information

Finally got the trend data from the main substation incoming monitoring relays. Absolutely no incoming voltage spike.

I'm still at a loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still at a loss; any of these ideas worth considering?

1. What is update time on the trend data? If not real time analog, then maybe it missed the spike(s)?
    2. Did an OV fault occur while the data was being recorded?
    3. If so, can you pinpoint that time on the report?
    4. If not, then the data is not of value yet and it still needs to be recorded?
    5. What if there is a loose connection in the downstream 460v common feed area? Maybe you need to record there or right at the input of a drive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csc_wyo View Post
    Finally got the trend data from the main substation incoming monitoring relays. Absolutely no incoming voltage spike.

I'm still at a loss.
    Most overvoltage issues I have seen are because of deceleration problems.

Don't know enough about your application but what are chances of being in a deceleration mode when this is happening, or that a deceleration command is happening even if it is an error?

Do you have high inertia loads? If so could be the load is "overhauling" the drive output so to speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been able to correct similar issues in the past with line reactors. Utility company was switching in power correction capacitors at relatively the same time every day causing the issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by csc_wyo View Post

I'm still at a loss.
    This be a local substation to your plant or a POCO substation some distance away?

Switching capacitors or some other plant going on/off line with a major load, changing taps at regulators all can cause voltage fluctuations or spikes - that may not show up at a distant substation.