Fluke flexible probes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Just got a Fluke 376 amp probe . This has a flexible current probe . Would like to install this in a panel and occasionally come back and plug in the meter to take a current reading . I know about grounding the secondary of CT's just wondering is there a hazard leaving the leads of this flexible probe hanging out without being plugged into a meter ?

mgookin

I don't think anyone's going to tell you there's no hazard associated with that or anything else electrical. Can you put a (lockable) box aside the panel and have it terminate in there such that someone has to open that box to access it? It would be quicker than removing a dead front.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Since the current probe is acting as a current transformer with a saturable core, you should not have a dangerous voltage across the open circuited secondary. But you can confirm this by measuring the voltage.
It would still be wise to protect the end of the probe in some way.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Just got a Fluke 376 amp probe . This has a flexible current probe . Would like to install this in a panel and occasionally come back and plug in the meter to take a current reading . ...

I looked at the manual. The sensor output is not a current, it is a voltage. It is not a CT. There is no concern about grounding the secondary.

Since the current probe is acting as a current transformer with a saturable core, you should not have a dangerous voltage across the open circuited secondary. ...
GD - I'm not familiar with "saturable core CT". How is it you know this is the probe construction? It is not a hall effect (won't measure DC Amps). I would guess it is a Rogowski coil.

Was going to leave the cover on and have the end of the probe hanging down below just acessible to plug in the meter .
That should work fine. As suggested measure the voltage. - I have two guesses:
1. Less than 2.5V.

2. The book shows three connectors to the input. It is not a rogowski and the third connector is for input power. if so, if not plugged into the meter, output is 0V.​

Just non-random guesses - worth about what you paid for them :roll:

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.