User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AFCI Tester?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AFCI Tester?

Looking to purchase an AFCI circuit tester. Any recommendations? Saw the Etcon one for $40, and then read this. The Ideal 61-059 is $200.

Also looking to upgrade my GB voltage tester, which just lights up at certain voltages (12,24,120,208,240,277,etc) and displays continuity. Was looking at the Fluke T5-600, and saw this kit. Looks to be about $250, tho it doesnt do AFCI.

Lastly, is anyone using Rack-A-Tiers Crocs needle-nose wire stripper? If so, do you like it?
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So just what does it 'test'.....?

~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that the arc signature recognition algorithms are proprietary and differ from manufacturer to manufacturer I doubt that there will ever be an universal AFCI tester.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Looking to purchase an AFCI circuit tester. Any recommendations?
    My recommendation? Save your money. The only "recognized" way to test an AFCI is with it's test button. Any other device is relegated to the status of "indicator".

As a case in point, take a look at the Ideal 61-069 Instructions by clicking here. Specifically, read the last page, bottom right "Note", especially #2.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking to purchase an AFCI circuit tester. Any recommendations? Saw the Etcon one for $40, and then read this. The Ideal 61-059 is $200.

Also looking to upgrade my GB voltage tester, which just lights up at certain voltages (12,24,120,208,240,277,etc) and displays continuity. Was looking at the Fluke T5-600, and saw this kit. Looks to be about $250, tho it doesnt do AFCI.
    Posts' #2,#3, and 4 cover this perfectly and I agree with them

[/QUOTE]Lastly, is anyone using Rack-A-Tiers Crocs needle-nose wire stripper? If so, do you like it?[/QUOTE]

Works great- does an excellent job stripping and handles are a little better than the ideal t stripper. Runs parity with the klein blues.
    Has a nm jacket stripper ( could take it or leave it, use a utility knife) has typical useless (imo) single crimp located just above the handles where you don't want it, etc. but still a great product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies. I'll just rely on the test button on the breaker, which seems a total conflict of interest:

"how do we test these?"
    mfg: "With the test button."
    "how do we independently test these?"
    mfg: "you dont. the test button is all you need"
    "so they can't be field verified?"
    mfg: "sure they can, with the test button"
    "..."

this seems akin to my car telling me it needs an oil change after 300 or 20,000 miles because it's been 3 months since I last changed it. and I cant visually check the oil.

I went ahead with the Crocs at lunchtime. Nice, tho the jaw latch seems to get caught open when putting them in my pouch. and the glow in the dark handles dont, unless "dying firefly" is an actual light level. iow, if you drop these under a house, you wont find them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the replies. I'll just rely on the test button on the breaker, which seems a total conflict of interest:

"how do we test these?"
    mfg: "With the test button."
    "how do we independently test these?"
    mfg: "you dont. the test button is all you need"
    "so they can't be field verified?"
    mfg: "sure they can, with the test button"
    "..."

Maybe so, likely so.

But consider how scummy Ideal is being trying to sell us a tool that they push as a tester when it really does nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post

Maybe so, likely so.

But consider how scummy Ideal is being trying to sell us a tool that they push as a tester when it really does nothing.
    Their overuse of 'if you find a problem, stop: consult qualified electrician' is probably lawyerese, but what it tells me is that their tool is made for a HO and not an electrician. At least the tool is more costly than a service call so I dont see too many HOs wasting money on a glorified GFCI tester.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just rely on the test button on the breaker, which seems a total conflict of interest
    I couldn't agree more.

Every single new install of an AFCI breaker or OBC device absolutely sticks in my craw for this very reason.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IF I am correct the test button is the only valid way to test them.
    Sane people cannot survive being witness to insanity.