Decora plates on tile walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

One little bitsy screw may not be a problem, but hundreds of little bitsy screws add up to being screwed big time. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
How many posts does it take to solve this issue? Ii take it you have that problem with hundreds of these screws. What have you come away with that would make your job easier that you haven't figured out already? I don't think it takes nuclear rocket scientist to figure but over 7 pages of posts?

kwired

Electron manager
How many posts does it take to solve this issue? Ii take it you have that problem with hundreds of these screws. What have you come away with that would make your job easier that you haven't figured out already? I don't think it takes nuclear rocket scientist to figure but over 7 pages of posts?
If you set the posts per page to the maximum of 40 you are only on page 2 right now:p

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't think it takes nuclear rocket scientist to figure but over 7 pages of posts?

I bet $1 a nuclear rocket scientist does not know how to trim a 6-32 screw and properly fit it on a decora cover plate to be flush with a tiles back splash. And NRS thinks nuclear is complicated?? he should try to cut a screw for a change.

kwired

Electron manager
I bet $1 a nuclear rocket scientist does not know how to trim a 6-32 screw and properly fit it on a decora cover plate to be flush with a tiles back splash. And NRS thinks nuclear is complicated?? he should try to cut a screw for a change.
I'm all out of dollars, will you accept chickens or goats?:)

templdl

Love it. What do they say about screwing up a one care funeral procession? By the looks of this strong of posts one would think that this was something that the government is involved in instead of KISS.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Use a diamond tipped vibrating engraving tool to make an exact screw sized depression in the tile at the right location.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

iwire

Staff member
We need drawings

machine-screw-tech-undercut-oval-head.jpg

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dropped out of this thread after the first page when I noticed that we started re-inventing the wheel. But I couldn't help but notice that there were suggestions about communicating with tile guys. On many jobs you don't get an opportunity to do that. You complete your rough and come back for the final. But, let's stop for a moment and analyze the tile guy's job :
  • Mix the thin set
  • Apply the thin set
  • Cut the tile to size if required
  • Set the tile in place
  • Apply the grout
Think about the level of person you're dealing with. Unlike us who have 1" thick Code books, whose contents we have to be extremely knowkedgable about and CEU courses for our licenses, these guys have 5 processes to go through to make their job complete. Don't even think about asking them to cut a divot in the tile for your mounting screw. Use a self adhesive plate or a screwless cover plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.