Exterior receptacle is it legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
had to use my strippers to to grab it .
They we're flush until 3" of foam and siding was added around them.the siding has trapped the base of the cover . View attachment 9543

And the cover is designed to be installed sideways?

(B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment
shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions
included in the listing or labeling.

JFLOAT

Picture is sideways recep is vertical Doing this on my phone

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
OK you pass!

(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered
necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and
proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially
free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient,
or adequate for good service or future expansion of
electrical use.

Then why do we talk about accessibility?

JFLOAT

I'm going with 314.20 Heck there's only 31 of them to fix and the temperature should climb into the -20s this week

JFLOAT

Around here you can't get a siding permit without an electrician pulling an electrical permit to take care of the service, outside lights and receptacles.

Funny thing is the foreman running the job is an electrical contractor.even I can't make this s$$t up

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is it my bad eyes or is that receptacle mounted to that box with nothing more than a gasket as protection?

What the heck kind of cover is that? How does it attach to the box?

This type of cover has different plates that can be used, depending on what device is installed. In this case, it has a receptacle plate and the gasket is under the plate. The screws that hold the plate are not run all the way in. The cover has a "key slot" that goes over the plate screws, then tightened down

This cover is available in vertical or horizontal mounting designs. Some are even for either.

Picture is sideways recep is vertical Doing this on my phone

What are you going to do to correct these "sunken" boxes?

Last edited:

JFLOAT

I say they pull the siding off and extend the conduit and box and do it the way it should of been done in the first place

kwired

Electron manager
What are you going to do to correct these "sunken" boxes?

What code section prohibits that "sunken" condition?

Though it may be a PITA to change a receptacle I see nothing wrong with it.

WP while in use cover is a different issue, and may be a problem should you decide to try to use one.

If the cover was a non WP while in use before siding work was done, it may very well have been compliant at time of original installation. If local rules require upgrading it to WP while in use then fine, but otherwise I don't see why it needs upgraded.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What code section prohibits that "sunken" condition?

Though it may be a PITA to change a receptacle I see nothing wrong with it.

WP while in use cover is a different issue, and may be a problem should you decide to try to use one.

If the cover was a non WP while in use before siding work was done, it may very well have been compliant at time of original installation. If local rules require upgrading it to WP while in use then fine, but otherwise I don't see why it needs upgraded.

My post #12.

I believe that the OP said the siding was added.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm going with 314.20 Heck there's only 31 of them to fix and the temperature should climb into the -20s this week

My post #12.

I believe that the OP said the siding was added.

From the pictures the requirement of 314.20 appears to have been met.

1100285590_2.jpg

Being that the box is now in a cubby hole so to speak is not the same thing that is being addressed by 314.20.

If 314.20 actually was violated in this scenario stage pockets and many floor boxes could never be used.

I agree it would be a pain to work on.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Exactly what my disagreement is based on, and better worded than what I came up with, thanks.

But in a cubbyhole, stage pocket or floor receptacle it is still possible to remove the device and access the interior of the box without removing wall finish! I consider the fabricated sheet metal to be wall finish. I can't see how that is attached to the new siding and how easy it would be to remove it.
To me a good analogy would be the difference between adding an additional thickness of rock to an existing wall and cutting out a large opening around the existing box, without adding an extender (maybe OK) and just cutting out a hole large enough to fit a plug into the receptacle and having the new wallboard on top of the cover plate (not OK IMHO.)
In the illustration I assume that either the device yoke and cover will be flush with the finish surface (1/4 inch above the box) or the device and cover will both be recessed into a hole in the finish surface.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But in a cubbyhole, stage pocket or floor receptacle it is still possible to remove the device and access the interior of the box without removing wall finish!
And in the picture the same is true.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.