Framing code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I drilled 3 @ 1" diameter holes stacked in center of 2x4 stud, non-loadbearing wall, 6 studs, about 1" between edges of holes. Inspector thought I may be weakening studs by drilling holes so close together but couldn't find in IRC and I passed inspection. Should I have drilled the holes further apart?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can't speak to it from a framing standpoint, but note 300.4(A)(1) states that the EDGE of the hole can not be less than 1-1/4" from the edge of the framing member. With a 1" hole in a 2x4 that would mean the hole would have to be centered perfectly. If you inspector carries a measuring tape with an attitude you might be buying a bunch of nail plates.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Can't speak to it from a framing standpoint, but note 300.4(A)(1) states that the EDGE of the hole can not be less than 1-1/4" from the edge of the framing member. With a 1" hole in a 2x4 that would mean the hole would have to be centered perfectly. If you inspector carries a measuring tape with an attitude you might be buying a bunch of nail plates.
Very true better to move such a hole and plate one side than both.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Reminds me of either a code refresher course or maybe actual school when I first started. Instructor said, (as augie47 mentioned) "300.4(A)(1) says the edge of the hole must be an inch and a quarter from the edge of the framing member. So technically you can drill a few 6" holes in a 2"X10" and you'll pass your inspection. The builder might not, but let him worry about it!"

Of course this was said in jest, but it was funny at the time.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Looking at my 2012 IRC, R602.6 and Figure R602.6(2), I do not see anything against it either. I honestly do not think it will weaken the studs either. Think about all of the 2"+ holes that are drilled for plumbing pipes everyday.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Yes I thought about that, either they dead center or he didn't know or he didn't care--2 nail plates total

Wenty4

Framing code question

According to the 2009 IRC, which is what the state of NH is currently using, Section R602.6 Drilling and Notching -- Studs. #2 Drilling. Any stud may be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is no more than 60% of the stud width, the edge of the hole is no more than 5/8" to the edge of the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or notch, Studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions drilled over 40 % and up to 60 % shall also be doubled with no more than two consecutive doubled studs bored. Nail plates would still be appropriate for wiring.

north star

( ~ ~ ~ )

**mgookin** appears to have been referring to Section 1607.14 [ in the `12 IBC ]
for the 5 psf loading [ lateral ].............In the `12 IRC, Section R301.2.2.2.1, # 3,
the minimum allowable amount of loading on an interior, non-load bearing wall is
10 lbs. per square foot [ vertical & lateral loads ].

( ~ ~ ~ )

mgookin

( ~ ~ ~ )

**mgookin** appears to have been referring to Section 1607.14 [ in the `12 IBC ]
for the 5 psf loading [ lateral ].............In the `12 IRC, Section R301.2.2.2.1, # 3,
the minimum allowable amount of loading on an interior, non-load bearing wall is
10 lbs. per square foot [ vertical & lateral loads ].

( ~ ~ ~ )

Thanks for picking up my slack there northstar :thumbsup:

Wenty4

Framing Code Question

Framing Code Question

This might be the answer to your question

~R602.6 Drilling and notching-studs. Drilling and notching of studs shall be in accordance with the following:

1. Notching. Any stud in an exterior wall or bearing partition may be cut or notched to a depth not exceeding 25 percent of its width. Studs in nonbearing partitions may be notched to a depth not to exceed 40 percent of a single stud width. 2. Drilling. Any stud may be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is no more than 60 percent of the stud width, the edge of the hole is no more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge of the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or notch. Studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60 percent shall also be doubled with no more than two successive doubled studs bored. See Figures R602.6(1) and R602.6(2).

Exception:
Use of approved stud shoes is permitted when they are installed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
This might be the answer to your question

~R602.6 Drilling and notching-studs. Drilling and notching of studs shall be in accordance with the following:

1. Notching. Any stud in an exterior wall or bearing partition may be cut or notched to a depth not exceeding 25 percent of its width. Studs in nonbearing partitions may be notched to a depth not to exceed 40 percent of a single stud width. 2. Drilling. Any stud may be bored or drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is no more than 60 percent of the stud width, the edge of the hole is no more than 5/8 inch (16 mm) to the edge of the stud, and the hole is not located in the same section as a cut or notch. Studs located in exterior walls or bearing partitions drilled over 40 percent and up to 60 percent shall also be doubled with no more than two successive doubled studs bored. See Figures R
Exception:[/B] Use of approved stud shoes is permitted when they are installed in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Does not seem to mention of separation between multiple holes?

jrannis

I drilled 3 @ 1" diameter holes stacked in center of 2x4 stud, non-loadbearing wall, 6 studs, about 1" between edges of holes. Inspector thought I may be weakening studs by drilling holes so close together but couldn't find in IRC and I passed inspection. Should I have drilled the holes further apart?

I would suspect that even load bearing you could take out 50% of the inside of that stud with 1" holes spaced 1" apart and not have a problem. Kind of like the way concrete blocks and trusses are not designed solid.
There would be no reason to do this with regular studs but I would be interested in what a perfectly engineered 6" stud would look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.