Power from above

Status
Not open for further replies.

captstent

Occupation
Telecommunications Analyst
We are wanting to feed a network rack from above and are wondering if this idea is code or not. Either have a twist lock receptacle mounted on ceiling and use an extension cord to bring it down to where the UPS will be installed or install a junction box with the circuits and use one of those mesh cable supports with a 45 connector connected to it (Cord Grip, 1/2 In NPT) and a l5-20r on the end to plug our UPS into. The building this is going is has flooded in the past so we don't want to put anything on or near the floor. The rack will be in the middle of the room and don't want to create a trip or unplug hazard.

mgookin

We are wanting to feed a network rack from above and are wondering if this idea is code or not. Either have a twist lock receptacle mounted on ceiling and use an extension cord to bring it down to where the UPS will be installed or install a junction box with the circuits and use one of those mesh cable supports with a 45 connector connected to it (Cord Grip, 1/2 In NPT) and a l5-20r on the end to plug our UPS into. The building this is going is has flooded in the past so we don't want to put anything on or near the floor. The rack will be in the middle of the room and don't want to create a trip or unplug hazard.

Extension cords are not allowed under life safety code. Exception being temporary lighting such holiday lights, doing construction with power tools, etc.

Can you build a column and install receptacles where the UPS's will plug in?

captstent

Occupation
Telecommunications Analyst
We are going to have space to put 7 to 9 racks so I don't think they would want to put in a column in for each of those.

mgookin

I'd think you can hang some unistrut from above and even have some latterals to put your receptacles on. Let's let some of the practicing EC's chime in on that...

Aleman

It's ok to run equipment off cord drops. Or at least I have seen enough of it done that I believe it is ok.
Just hang a jbox on the ceiling and a strain relief for your cable and use a proper receptacle at the end.
You can buy cable made for drops or use SO.

Another alternative is to use rigid pipe to the equipment. You can go 20' vertically between supports
provided all couplings are threaded. That can reduce hassles with trying to support pipe in some situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.