Two grounding electrode conductors to water meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have two 200 amp main panels fed from a 320amp meter socket in residential setting. Do I need to run separate electrode conductors for water meter?
No, you only need to ground the service neutral one time. I would make the connection in the meter can.

Roger

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have two 200 amp main panels fed from a 320amp meter socket in residential setting. Do I need to run separate electrode conductors for water meter?
You don't need to... but you have to run at least one, sized for the combined equivalent size of SEC's, then tap of to the individual panels.

Ohms law

No, you only need to ground the service neutral one time. I would make the connection in the meter can.

Roger
If there is only one bonding connection in the can for electrode conductor how would you bond to ground rod as well. Would you feed through the can termination then to ground rod?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If there is only one bonding connection in the can for electrode conductor how would you bond to ground rod as well. Would you feed through the can termination then to ground rod?
I would jump from one electrode to another. IOW's, I would only have one GEC from the meter can to the electrode that required the largest conductor, after that connection I would tie all the other electrodes together with properly sized jumpers.

If it were more convenient to make additional connections in the meter can I would opt for additional lugs.

Roger

Ohms law

I would jump from one electrode to another. IOW's, I would only have one GEC from the meter can to the electrode that required the largest conductor, after that connection I would tie all the other electrodes together with properly sized jumpers.

If it were more convenient to make additional connections in the meter can I would opt for additional lugs.

Roger
I would think a guy would want to use stranded wire for the electrode conductor. Could I tap off of the stranded with a solid. Is their a crimp out there that is rated for solid and or stranded?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Or would you suggest installing a common grounding connection (Ground bar).
FWIW, actually has to be a grounded conductor bar. You're allowed to connect GEC(s) to a grounding bar where the main bonding jumper is located (service disconnect), but in other locations has to be the grounded conductor for grounded systems.

I realize it's just semantics :p, but an AHJ may call someone on it.

Ohms law

FWIW, actually has to be a grounded conductor bar. You're allowed to connect GEC(s) to a grounding bar where the main bonding jumper is located (service disconnect), but in other locations has to be the grounded conductor for grounded systems.

I realize it's just semantics :p, but an AHJ may call someone on it.
It makes sense. What is the most common practice that other electricians do? I'm always trying to find a faster economical way to perform my work.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It makes sense. What is the most common practice that other electricians do? I'm always trying to find a faster economical way to perform my work.
The illustration below shows how I do most GES's. I leave the Main Bonding Jumper location with the largest required GEC to the first electrode and jump the rest of the electrodes together in the field with whatever size conductor is needed.

1113918256_2.jpg

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.