User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Parallel outputs of AC disconnects to load-side tap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be 280 amps my mistake still 240amps because max backfeed in gear is 240

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    You guys (CA) on 2014 now?
    In 2.5 months. You asked me what code, I told you, and it's not 100% clear where the OPs project is anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    In 2.5 months. You asked me what code, I told you, and it's not 100% clear where the OPs project is anyway.
    The location is not 100% clear, but I'm leaning heavily toward CA.

I asked the question within the context of in-effect CA Code.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, under the current CA code (2011 NEC equivalent), you just have to ask your AHJ about load side taps. Some may recognize that the current code doesn't adequately address the situation and let you use the 2014 code rules. Some may allow you to load the feeder to 120% per 705.12(D)(2). (That would not be applicable in the OPs case). Others will just say no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    FWIW, under the current CA code (2011 NEC equivalent), you just have to ask your AHJ about load side taps. Some may recognize that the current code doesn't adequately address the situation and let you use the 2014 code rules. Some may allow you to load the feeder to 120% per 705.12(D)(2). (That would not be applicable in the OPs case). Others will just say no.
    Hi guys, sorry for the delay. Long weekend. Anyways, yes, I am in CA (Don't hold it against me).

To clarify a couple points: We are tapping into 4/0 feeders with piercing connectors.
    -The loads at the other end of the 4/0 feeder are in a panel protected by a 200A main
    -We have to arrange the PV this way to distribute to different meters for (billing/cost purposes?) instead of consolidating it (Don't ask me, I'm not the sales/money guy).
    -My main question was concerning the combining of the AC disco outputs to the tap. As long as the conductors from the discos to the tap are rated for 200A we should be good right?

It's just a weird setup we've never tried before and is open to interpretation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadshort View Post
    -My main question was concerning the combining of the AC disco outputs to the tap. As long as the conductors from the discos to the tap are rated for 200A we should be good right?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your AHJ could say just about anything about this, especially if you're still on the 2011 code. But I think it's a safe installation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HiQ inverters combine in an AC junction box, with no OCPD, and then the combined output goes to a common CB in an AC combiner panel. No problem doing it, just size all the conductors correctly. But they do have the OCPD at the AC combiner where you just have a tap. But since you are tapping after the main CB it should count as the supplying OCPD.

The conductors between each switch and the common tie point are subject to the fault current back feed from the service and from the other inverter, most people don't size for this and just size it for the inverter output. For this system it would be sized for 300A.
    Last edited by pv_n00b; 10-25-16 at 10:34 PM.