question on subpanels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is there an NEC code that states that a panel marked "suitable for use as service equipment" can not be used as a subpanel?

Some panels state "suitable only for use as service equipment". Clearly you could not use that but I doubt that is an issue

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As I understand it, the difference is that the "only" panels do not have a seperate insulated neutral bar. While the others may have one bar which is mounted on insulators but has a removable screw or jumper to the dedicated ground bar.
Presumably at least some of the "only" panels can be modified by adding a separate identified neutral bar kit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
so the only problem that could be then would be that the item itself is not suitable for anything else but service equipment?

Yes that is correct except where jumper noted for detached structure. Point here-- 2014 does not require the said disconnect to be rated for service equipment anymore unless it is an existing setup where there are only 3 conductors run to the structure

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
this panel would have a neutral bar that is factory bonded

If that is the case then it would not comply-- I bet it "states only for service equipment". Of course if the bond can be removed that is diofferent but it sounds like the neutral is connected to the can with no bonding screw needed. If that is the case it will not work

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes that is correct except where jumper noted for detached structure. Point here-- 2014 does not require the said disconnect to be rated for service equipment anymore unless it is an existing setup where there are only 3 conductors run to the structure

Was that from one of your code proposals?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Was that from one of your code proposals?

Yes, I made a [proposal but the wording in it was not mine. I think Chris (Raider 1) also sent in a similar proposal. At least the concept got put in and that was what I was concerned about. Here is what I had

225.36 Suitable for Service Equipment. The disconnecting means specified in 225.31 shall be suitable for use as service equipment.
Exception: For garages and outbuildings on residential property, a snap switch, or a set of 3-way or 4-way snap switches, or other approved non service rated disconnect shall be permitted as the disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.