800amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

I got customer who wants to extend or install new 600a service. they need 600a or 3-200am disconnects for some T building about 200ft away. its along easement so you can get new service but they really want to use an existing 800a service they use to charge there emergency equipment, its rarely used anymore but I was wondering if you guys had some ideas for old service. I was thinking of two ideas. First would be to run overhead using triplex,off the existing H frame from the existing 3-200a disconnects to new buildings. Second, I would run new Feeder from existing H frame service to new H frame/gutter/disconnects to new buildings. I would think the first idea would be cheaper and faster. the second would require parallel runs and trenching. Any Ideas? I know its game day so thank for responses.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, underground is always the better way to go barring impossible terrain. Overhead is unsightly and a tad difficult to do with larger wires-- setting poles etc.

MBLES

IMO, underground is always the better way to go barring impossible terrain. Overhead is unsightly and a tad difficult to do with larger wires-- setting poles etc.

I agree but I forgot to mention its behind the customers business and its only gonna be for two years.
they are using T building to remodel old building. I was thinking I can run under ground off the exisint 3- 200a to new T buildings. My boss wants a good idea and me being team first time team lead wants to give good impression. in the end its up to him but I want some input.

kwired

Electron manager
Running three 200 amp feeders to a separate building would be in violation of 225.30. Running one 600 amp feeder composed of three paralleled 200 amp conductors would comply with that section though.

MBLES

Running three 200 amp feeders to a separate building would be in violation of 225.30. Running one 600 amp feeder composed of three paralleled 200 amp conductors would comply with that section though.

understood....but there are 3 different T buildings in 3 different directions. Do you think this still applies?
if so thanks its much appreciated. that's why im here, I get the best advise and NEC references.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
understood....but there are 3 different T buildings in 3 different directions. Do you think this still applies?
if so thanks its much appreciated. that's why im here, I get the best advise and NEC references.

It does not apply if there are three feeders to 3 different builders. As long as these structures are considered separate there should not be an issue

kwired

Electron manager
Sure withhold information here:ashamed:

If each building is separate no problem with a separate feeder to each, you made it sound like you wanted three feeds to a single building.

Status
Not open for further replies.