Energy Code 50% switched receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious of the Mike Holt guys opinion on this.

I have seen these new construction office buildings that had to have at least 50% of the offices and other areas with sensor controlled switched receptacles. Basically requiring half the receptacles in an area to turn off if no one is in there.

The complaints have already begun. LOL. Some claim these so called high tech occupancy sensors don't do the job to keep the receptacles on when they are working, losing some computer info when it switches off.

What do you think of this Energy Code that is being adopted all over and implemented? Any complaints in your area?

electricalist

Where is it that these situations have been happening? I would want to believe these requirements could have a criteria. Maybe like dual switching or o/sensors.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't think the Energy code intent was to turn off critical equipment such as computers , The intent is for stuff like , Lights, monitors, non esential perifrial equpment.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The city of Seattle has implemented that requirement. So far, I have only done two small projects that fell within that rule. It is an energy code thing, but I think it is really about having the ability to claim that you are energy conscious. What we did was to double the number of receptacles in the space. We controlled one set with an occupancy sensor, and added the appropriate label to the face plate. I believe that what will happen is that nobody will plug anything into the controlled receptacles. Thus, we have wasted energy and resources on something that will not wind up saving any energy.

The city of Seattle has implemented that requirement. So far, I have only done two small projects that fell within that rule. It is an energy code thing, but I think it is really about having the ability to claim that you are energy conscious. What we did was to double the number of receptacles in the space. We controlled one set with an occupancy sensor, and added the appropriate label to the face plate. I believe that what will happen is that nobody will plug anything into the controlled receptacles. Thus, we have wasted energy and resources on something that will not wind up saving any energy.

I agree with you. I think they really have out did themselves making this a requirement. I just can't see what good will come of wanting to switch a lot of receptacles in commercial offices.

Besoeker

I agree with you. I think they really have out did themselves making this a requirement. I just can't see what good will come of wanting to switch a lot of receptacles in commercial offices.
I agree. Most computers, monitors, copiers, go into sleep mode if not operated after a period of time.
And I agree with charlie b.
It's about being seen to be doing.
Rather than common sense.

Timbert

I think the biggest thing lacking with these energy saving requirements is the lack of training for end users. Someone has to sit the office inhabitants down and explain how to use the receptacles to save energy (and not lose data). The building owner has to educate the inhabitants not to plug computers into the switched outlets and conversely not to plug lighting or space heaters into the always on circuit. I think this is where the good intentions go awry. Who is going to want to listen to a presentation on how to use an electrical receptacle.

At home I have a power strip for the computer that switches on/off peripherals based on when the computer is running/sleeping. The lighting is controlled by occupancy sensor. Once setup, I've never had to think about it. I walk in the lights come on, I wake my computer and I'm ready to go.

I've never lost data because of the switched loads. Then again I think I understand how electricity and power works. That is not true with your typical office inhabitant.

The other issue is proper placement and use of occupancy sensors. I remember working in an office with occupancy sensors in the restrooms. Of course the sensors were placed in such a manner that they didn't "see" into the stalls. The timer was set for thirty seconds. You couldn't read while you did your morning ritual unless you brought a flashlight.

Personally, I think "smart" power strips are a better way to go because you have better control over where switched loads are used but the problem is very few people use them.

I think the biggest thing lacking with these energy saving requirements is the lack of training for end users. Someone has to sit the office inhabitants down and explain how to use the receptacles to save energy (and not lose data). The building owner has to educate the inhabitants not to plug computers into the switched outlets and conversely not to plug lighting or space heaters into the always on circuit. I think this is where the good intentions go awry. Who is going to want to listen to a presentation on how to use an electrical receptacle.

So in that commercial office setting when the always on (computer) and "controlled" (heater) receptacles are laid out on my design per the desk layout the architect is showing (and the owner agreed with), what do you tell your office workers when the desk location is changed after the walls have been sealed up? Do you tell your workers that they must criss-cross extension cords across their office for long term use and that they can't use the receptacle that is behind their desk?

At home I have a power strip for the computer that switches on/off peripherals based on when the computer is running/sleeping. The lighting is controlled by occupancy sensor. Once setup, I've never had to think about it. I walk in the lights come on, I wake my computer and I'm ready to go.

I've never lost data because of the switched loads. Then again I think I understand how electricity and power works. That is not true with your typical office inhabitant.

You are doing it after the receptacles with a power strip, therefore you have the specific choice of how the control logic operates, because you created it. As for the typical office inhabitant, per my example above, what if your desk is stuck next to a switched receptacle? The power strip approach won't work.

Personally, I think "smart" power strips are a better way to go because you have better control over where switched loads are used but the problem is very few people use them.

I agree, but good lucking getting any of the energy code guys to see reason.

And Charlie, I agree with what you did. I've had to consider the switched receptacles on a project (luckily got the client to waive it due to cost as they were choosing to optionally apply the ASHRAE standard that has it), and the only other solution we could come up with was the split wire every receptacle.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Many computer peripherals to not deal well with power interruptions while the computer is connected, even when it is sleeping.
Also many ink jet printers will detect a loss of power without being switched off and will respond by going through a head cleaning sequence when restarted, wasting ink.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Many computer peripherals to not deal well with power interruptions while the computer is connected, even when it is sleeping.
Also many ink jet printers will detect a loss of power without being switched off and will respond by going through a head cleaning sequence when restarted, wasting ink.

Some printers just dont want to get powered off simply by turning off the power. They actually get damaged sometimes.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You may half switch the receptacles, you don't have to switch the entire receptacle. So you cold have the computer on one half and your charger plugged into the switched half.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well the idea is to shed all the "vampire" loads. What if you switch the two outlets that are on the wall away from the desk? You are meeting the letter of the code, but not really the intent. Don't forget that it needs to be labeled also.

electricalist

I was thinking quad plugs for everyone 1 circuit for each duplex 1 switched and 1 not. The bid cost will change enough to really make it a competition for EC

sandsnow

Anytime you rely on the "public" to save energy it is usually a failure. IF everybody used A-B switching as intended we may not be seeing all the other stuff we have now. Maybe.

I thing most troubleshooting or call backs will consist of a piece of masking tape marked DO NOT USE and a brand new plug strip for that desk.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Anytime you rely on the "public" to save energy it is usually a failure. IF everybody used A-B switching as intended we may not be seeing all the other stuff we have now. Maybe.

I thing most troubleshooting or call backs will consist of a piece of masking tape marked DO NOT USE and a brand new plug strip for that desk.
Been saying that for years. "If we had been doing what they asked all along, we wouldn't be in this boat." I also blame a lot of this on the jurisdictions that aren't enforcing the things they're supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.