American Electricians handbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2500

I see that the 16th edition is out and was wondering if anybody has seen it or had thoughts on the publication as a whole.

I've got a copy of the 15th edition, and I like that it still has a lot of the archaic installation means and methods. Knob and tube, western union splices, 15KV taped terminations.
There is also quite a bit on transformers, motors and generators.

I find it very interesting but probably not very useful unless I find myself rebuilding a post apocalyptic earth with nothing but my kliens and some tape.

It's also missing a lot. VFDs, PLCs, I don't see any kind of controls or logic.

Any input or suggestions on this book or one like it?

K2500

Last I checked Square D'S courses were prohibitively expensive, but I didn't browse to deeply into the link.

Yes, the handbook is dated; but I'm also a history fan and sometimes must stop to appreciate the ingenuity of those that came before, even when encountering older methods in the field.

What, exactly, is a FIFY?

John120/240

FIFY is shorthand for Fixed It For You.
Reading outdated books can be rather dry at times, but does provide insight to the old methods. It makes you realize how the trad has come.

cadpoint

If you sign up there's 200 free courses... Granted there might not be courses that
one is seeking information on. & Computer course work might not be everyones
forte!

Last I checked Square D'S courses were prohibitively expensive, but I didn't browse to deeply into the link.

To the OP, I suggest looking at what on line with their local library or their local university for exact Subject or Titles...

Besides there is nothing like a good book or two in front of one's reach!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.