Beautician v.s. Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

My mom is a beautician and has very strict state and local rules to cut hair, on the other hand, anyone with an orange 5 gallon bucket, truck that is drivable can call themself and electrician and practice without any or much recourse around here. Kind of a free for all state. Just thought this is so wrong but i'm not sure why it still exists across the country. Any thoughts about this ???

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Orange bucket and a truck sounds pretty strict to me.
An acquaintance tells me that in Turkey the electrician is the guy with a screwdriver. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Orange bucket and a truck sounds pretty strict to me.
An acquaintance tells me that in Turkey the electrician is the guy with a screwdriver. :)

Are you sure he said "Turkey" and not "Tennessee".
Unless regulated by local ordinances, for many years a State License required only a $25 fee ( and those licenses are still grandfathered in without testing). More recently, testing is required for the license holder but no testing for the individuals he employees.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Testing and licensing aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be. Around these parts, a lot of guys cram the book just enough to pass the test. Now they're all official as an "expert", and sometimes aren't half the electrician that a good 2nd year apprentice is

I wouldn't trust some of these "experts" to backstab receptacles in my house

kwired

Electron manager
The law here says (something to the effect of) No person shall layout, design, or install electrical wiring for another person unless they are the holder of (followed by license descriptions). This basically means it is unlawful to do electrical installations for hire if not licensed to do so. That don't mean non licensed people don't get away with it - especially for installations that do not require a permit - or at least require a permit before POCO can energize a new service.

Most states barbers and hairstylists require more hours of training than cops.

Kind of sad in a way. However there are people that cut hair out of their homes with no licensing as well. But they need to be concerned of competition possibly reporting them. They also do get away with it much easier by doing it by word of mouth, but try to open a shop with signage and other advertising and you likely get shut down pretty quickly if not licensed.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Speaking of cutting hair at home, there was this guy in New Jersey who specialized in Mohawks. Only style he did, and although there was not a lot of demand, his widespread reputation kept him busy.

He wasn't a professional though. He only cut hair on the side.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Testing and licensing aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be. Around these parts, a lot of guys cram the book just enough to pass the test. Now they're all official as an "expert", and sometimes aren't half the electrician that a good 2nd year apprentice is

I wouldn't trust some of these "experts" to backstab receptacles in my house

I could not agree more. Most guys around here studied for their jurisdictional test on a Sunday, took the test on Monday, and forgot everything by Tuesday......! I had a lot of respect for guys that had a "Masters License", when I took it for VA and MD and saw how easy it was i lost that respect for anyone that had one.

I think given the responsibility of protecting the "Lives" of our customers by doing a quality, safe and code compliant installation every state should have licensing requirements. The testing and competency levels should be fair, but more intense than they are.

Around here a licensed "Master Electrician" may not be more qualified or competent than the guy with the orange HD bucket...but he did take "A" test and has insurance.

growler

My mom is a beautician and has very strict state and local rules to cut hair, on the other hand, anyone with an orange 5 gallon bucket, truck that is drivable can call themself and electrician and practice without any or much recourse around here. Kind of a free for all state. Just thought this is so wrong but i'm not sure why it still exists across the country. Any thoughts about this ???

I would guess the reason they are more strict about cutting hair is this profession comes under the jurisdiction of the health department. They are not really concerned about someone getting a bad hair cut but the spread of disease.

My barber is not very good at cutting hair at all but no one seems to care ( I think he started out grooming dogs or something). He does get all the inspections by the health department to make sure he is following the rules.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Our trade has become less respected :happysad: I agree, in some places in order to just touch someone's hair you must show a license, and to get a hair dresser license takes time, effort, skill ect. Perhaps that's not the issue, but if found running a hair salon without a license, that could cost you. But any handyman can put an add up on Craig's list and perform services.

kwired

Electron manager
Our trade has become less respected :happysad: I agree, in some places in order to just touch someone's hair you must show a license, and to get a hair dresser license takes time, effort, skill ect. Perhaps that's not the issue, but if found running a hair salon without a license, that could cost you. But any handyman can put an add up on Craig's list and perform services.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. How good of a job you do of cutting hair is not really a requirement to be licensed. Knowing how and practicing prevention of spreading disease or parasites that may be involved here is what the licensing is all about. Same can be said about nail salons, massage parlors, tattoo shops, ear/body piercing ....

Now if we (electricians) were to install wiring on other humans, we may need to have licensing from the health department as well.

Wiring we do install in some places like mentioned here, as well as health care facilities, and even involving food handling applications needs to follow guidelines from the health department, but when those health inspectors do find something that is an issue with the wiring usually request the owner to correct it instead of issuing any kind of correction notice to the electrician.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Speaking of cutting hair at home, there was this guy in New Jersey who specialized in Mohawks. Only style he did, and although there was not a lot of demand, his widespread reputation kept him busy.
He wasn't a professional though. He only cut hair on the side.
<rim shot> :D

Last edited:

mwm1752

First of all I've had bad haircuts from licensed beauticians -- Should have never fallen asleep -- Secondly, consumers that do not want to pay for qualified help will look for that "electricioaoin" at quarter price , so don't be fooled by that fancy orange bucket & truck there are signs that will lead you to the promised sparky.

Status
Not open for further replies.