Tapping off oven circuit for built in microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

Is there anything in the taps rules that would allow this? There is a 40 amp 8-3 nm-b wire run to a single oven unit. The oven only has a nameplate rating of 4800 kw. The microwave is directly above the oven. The builder was suppose to install a oven/microwave combo unit and then changed his mind and didn't say anything. Before I fish in a new circuit and just wanted to make sure I can't just grab power from the over sized oven wire somehow.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
bump..
I bumped this thread up to make it more current. IMO, if you provided OCP for the microwave the 40 amp supply would be feeder and you could do as you propose but I sure rather here some other input in case I'm overlooking something.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
The 'mule' in me is showing.... I don't like the idea, but someone please show me the violation.
210.19(A)(3) has a minimum for a 8-3/4 or larger range but other than that appears to revert to nameplate.
OPs unit is 4.8 kw or 20 amps. If he wishes to use a 40 amp feeder and feed a 20 amp 240v load and another 20 amp (240 or 480) thru a 4 ckt loadcenter, I fail to see the violation.

iwire

Staff member
I agree you could make it a feeder.

I think from a practical standpoint the most difficult issue to overcome is locating a overcurrent devices in an existing kitchen and comply with 110.26.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I agree you could make it a feeder.

I think from a practical standpoint the most difficult issue to overcome is locating a overcurrent devices in an existing kitchen and comply with 110.26.

and I agree with that...
I was just of the opinion that the option was there but feared I had overlooked a restriction in Art 210 or Art 220.

Status
Not open for further replies.