breaker size

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjm

I'm questioning two homeruns I on a recent panel change from a large solar company. Is #6Al seu ( three wire) rated to be on 250 breaker? I was at the HO repairing baseboards previous guy hooked up all 240v heat circuits to 120v

fjm

The 2 are for A/c which is fused at 230 at disconnect and the range. I don't understand terminal ratings on breakers are they 40c,60c, 75c.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The weak link in your chain is going to be the SEU. Your profile indicates '08 Code which reduced the ampacity of SE cable to the 60? rating of 40 amps. Most breakers are 75? rating, but the cable is the limiting factor in this case.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm questioning two homeruns I on a recent panel change from a large solar company. Is #6Al seu ( three wire) rated to be on 250 breaker? I was at the HO repairing baseboards previous guy hooked up all 240v heat circuits to 120v
You have told us 250 and 230, which I doubt very much are amperages. We do not need to know the voltage, we (and you) need to know how much current the baseboard heaters draw when operating at full capacity.
SEU is insulated for 600V, so 230, 240, 250V should not be a problem.

ceb58

You have told us 250 and 230, which I doubt very much are amperages. We do not need to know the voltage, we (and you) need to know how much current the baseboard heaters draw when operating at full capacity.

It seem as if he is referring to 1- DP 50 amp breaker and 1- DP 30 amp. Ether way it is confusing the way the OP has described the situation.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

... Is #6Al seu ( three wire) rated to be on 250 breaker?...

The 2 are for A/c which is fused at 230 at disconnect and the range. ....

(edit to add) Slow poster - as Ceb said:

I'm guessing "250" and "230" refers to "2pole 50A" and 2pole 30A"?

ice

fjm

Sorry for the confusion the se cables are on two pole 50 breakers. One cable goes to a ac disconnect then its fused correctly for the motor, the other is on the electric range.. the baseboards are why I was there.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The weak link in your chain is going to be the SEU. Your profile indicates '08 Code which reduced the ampacity of SE cable to the 60? rating of 40 amps. Most breakers are 75? rating, but the cable is the limiting factor in this case.
Profile also indicates NJ as location. NJ is on 2011 edition (SE only 60?C where installed inside through thermal insulation). However, the Code in effect at the time of installation may have some bearing, as it appears this is an existing installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.