Outlets in Drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This may have been discussed before, but I don't have time right now to look. An architect is suggesting that receptacle outlets inside drawers in the kitchen and bathroom. The owner likes clean lines, and does not want to see any electrical or mechanical equipment. Does this violate 406.5?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't see the code prohibits such an install.

How one would implement it is something else.

I would be inclined to think MC would work for the necessary flexibility.

jumper

I will not comment on what popped into my head when I saw the title to thread.:D

I assume you are referring to this:

406.5 Receptacle Mounting. Receptacles shall be mounted
in identified boxes or assemblies. The boxes or assemblies
shall be securely fastened in place unless otherwise permitted
elsewhere in this Code.

I would say no. The box has to be securely fastened to the drawer, but it does not say that the drawer or what ever a box is fastened to cannot move or be mobile.

jumper

This may have been discussed before, but I don't have time right now to look. An architect is suggesting that receptacle outlets inside drawers in the kitchen and bathroom. The owner likes clean lines, and does not want to see any electrical or mechanical equipment. Does this violate 406.5?

Charlie, you realize that the drawer receptacles would have to be in addition to the required counter top, wall and bath receptacles.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Charlie, you realize that the drawer receptacles would have to be in addition to the required counter top, wall and bath receptacles.

True, but it doesn't mean you have to use them if the drawer receptacles pass muster. They'd be basically for show.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If there are upper cabinets we have used wiremold plug strips as long as the cabinets are within the 18" rule. ( i think it is 18")
This way the kitchen can look lean and sleek as the customer may desire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are very few attractive pop ups that are direct wired units. If it is not direct wired then IMO, it is not compliant. We cannot find one for a kitchen job I am doing. I also am doing one in the drawer in a bathroom. We attached plugmold to the countertop underside. The cabinet guy installed an angle block of wood for us to attach to and he is notching the back of the draw in case one has to remove the drawer. The outlet is toward the face of the cabinet.

Buck Parrish

I've installed them in Master Bath cabinet drawers. I used a handy box with S/O cable out of that to the back of the cabinet below. Because of curling irons, I used a pushbutton switch to turn the outlets off when the door was shut.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I've installed them in Master Bath cabinet drawers. I used a handy box with S/O cable out of that to the back of the cabinet below. Because of curling irons, I used a pushbutton switch to turn the outlets off when the door was shut.

Not compliant IMO. You cannot use Flexible Cord as a permanent wiring system. 400.8

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:
(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure
(2) Where run through holes in walls, structural ceilings,
suspended ceilings, dropped ceilings, or floors
(3) Where run through doorways, windows, or similar
openings
(4) Where attached to building surfaces
Exception to (4): Flexible cord and cable shall be permitted
to be attached to building surfaces in accordance with the
provisions of 368.56(B)
(5) Where concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings or located
above suspended or dropped ceilings
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted
in this Code
(7) Where subject to physical damage

rt66electric

plug strip mounted in a drawer??

plug strip mounted in a drawer??

I do not know if it was legal or not , but i have seen a bathroom drawer that had a plug strip (Standard 6-outlet with a six foot cord) that was attached to the back of drawer and the cord was carefully routed to accommodate the drawer movement, and then plugged into a gfci receptacle located under the sink.

big john

Not compliant IMO. You cannot use Flexible Cord as a permanent wiring system. 400.8
What say you to 400.7(A)(9) that permits it to connect moving parts?

From a practical sense I would vastly prefer cord to MC: I think it would be much more tolerant of frequent movement over the long haul.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What say you to 400.7(A)(9) that permits it to connect moving parts?

From a practical sense I would vastly prefer cord to MC: I think it would be much more tolerant of frequent movement over the long haul.

It is not a matter of what one prefers. Although 400.7(A)(9) seems to allow this I believe the intent is for things like motors, etc. Now I would also bet that those who install a cord in this manner don't use 12 awg cord.

My point is there are other ways to make it compliant and because the owners want something that does not permit us to do a non compliant job. I have angered many home owners because of this.

big john

... Although 400.7(A)(9) seems to allow this I believe the intent is for things like motors, etc....
I would argue that one. Motors aren't movibg parts, and (6) and (7) separately address common motor concerns.

I think if we're putting receptacles in drawers at all, SO would be one of the safest code-compliant solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.