User Tag List

Thread: 480V in Residential

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

480V in Residential

Hi,
    I have a situation where I need to do a long run for a PV system in residential. I was thinking of going with a transformer (and yes I know it will be expensive but way less then other options) from 120 to 480 then bringing it back down to 120 for voltage drop and I need to use an existing pipe that is only 2"

My question is......Are there any codes that prohibit 480 in a residence (besides the 277V Lighting code)?
    “He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castrovinci View Post

My question is......Are there any codes that prohibit 480 in a residence (besides the 277V Lighting code)?
    In your situation, No. There are branch ckt limitations in 210.6, but those are irrelevant here.

IIRC the limit in your case is 600v- see 690.7.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the distance and the load you will have? The 2” will be limiting.

600v @ 100 amp @ 600 ft will give a VD of about 22 with 2/0 al wire. That could be a pretty tough pull even without 90s.

The EG will need to be increased in size.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castrovinci View Post
    Hi,
    I have a situation where I need to do a long run for a PV system in residential. I was thinking of going with a transformer (and yes I know it will be expensive but way less then other options) from 120 to 480 then bringing it back down to 120 for voltage drop and I need to use an existing pipe that is only 2"

Why not just bring the dc strings back, they are already up around 480 anyway, and skip the tranny?. Better yet, use a fronius primo inverter that does 1kv strings. With 1 kv, you just couldn't have the inverter inside the house.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"