How close is too close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting since I did not see NJ in the Title or in the original post...All I saw was an NEC Question post....;):jawdrop:lol

Yeah but the op is from NJ so that rehab code comes into play. I always try and see where the poster is from because I know certain areas have amendments or rules that are a bit different. NJ is the only state that I am aware of that has a rehab code.

DeltaFarce

New User
We might be splitting hairs but as noted in your post the 6" PSE&G requirement is for the entry into the dwelling. IMO the local electrical inspector would determine if the cable were subject to physical damage being that close to the ground.

If this service has been inspected and approved by the local inspector then IMO it's a non-issue and doesn't belong in an HI report. Worst case scenario is that some of the dirt would need to be removed to get the 6" clearance if the entry is below 6".

I have been looking around the 2014 revisions of the PSE&G requirement book (I just realized they made one newer than 2005 :lol:) and found this:

"7. Where it may be exposed to mechanical injury, service entrance cable of the unprotected type shall be installed in conduit, electrical metallic tubing, or protected by other approved means. Portions of a service run less than 6 in. above grade level shall be considered as exposed to mechanical injury."

So the installation in the OP wouldn't pass PSE&G's requirements.

On a different note, I figure I would mention this to you as someone else who works in PSE&G territory, they changed the wording when it comes to mounting meters. Now it says:

"J. Top of Meter Pan to Finished Grade: Min. 3 ft - 0 in. to top, Max. 6 ft - 6 in. to bottom.**"

"** ?J? shall be 6 ft- 6 in. where sidewalks, walkways, driveways and/or blacktop is within 2 ft- 0 in. in front of meter pan. For 320 A meter pan, 6 ft from grade level to the middle of meter"

I don't know why they added "to bottom", but that confuses it for me because it should be max 6 ft - 6 in to top like it's required to be when there is a driveway or walkway within 2'.

So either it's a typo, or they changed the requirement and they won't allow a meter to be 6.5' to the top unless it's within 2' from a driveway.

This concerns me because I have come to install ALL meters at 6.5' to the top no matter where they are.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have been looking around the 2014 revisions of the PSE&G requirement book (I just realized they made one newer than 2005 :lol:) and found this:

"7. Where it may be exposed to mechanical injury, service entrance cable of the unprotected type shall be installed in conduit, electrical metallic tubing, or protected by other approved means. Portions of a service run less than 6 in. above grade level shall be considered as exposed to mechanical injury."

On a different note, I figure I would mention this to you as someone else who works in PSE&G territory, they changed the wording when it comes to mounting meters. Now it says:

"J. Top of Meter Pan to Finished Grade: Min. 3 ft - 0 in. to top, Max. 6 ft - 6 in. to bottom.**"

"** ?J? shall be 6 ft- 6 in. where sidewalks, walkways, driveways and/or blacktop is within 2 ft- 0 in. in front of meter pan. For 320 A meter pan, 6 ft from grade level to the middle of meter"

I don't know why they added "to bottom", but that confuses it for me because it should be max 6 ft - 6 in to top like it's required to be when there is a driveway or walkway within 2'.

So either it's a typo, or they changed the requirement and they won't allow a meter to be 6.5' to the top unless it's within 2' from a driveway.

This concerns me because I have come to install ALL meters at 6.5' to the top no matter where they are.

Thanks for the info, I haven't looked at the 2014 stuff yet but downloaded after reading your comments in this thread. :cool:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

Any meter installed at 6.5' to the top will automatically bevless than 6.5' to the bottom. So no problem. It just allows you to mount it even higher than you used to.

DeltaFarce

New User
Any meter installed at 6.5' to the top will automatically bevless than 6.5' to the bottom. So no problem. It just allows you to mount it even higher than you used to.
Ya know what? You are right, which makes me even more confused :lol: Why add "to bottom" to that requirement then?

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Yeah but the op is from NJ so that rehab code comes into play. I always try and see where the poster is from because I know certain areas have amendments or rules that are a bit different. NJ is the only state that I am aware of that has a rehab code.
Ahhh....you are so dang (note that is dang...not a perceived curse word...it was just dang) versatile fella.....:lol:

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
My thought was just to tell the client to regrade the outside to provide more clearance.

On another note, this installation was 1990 and panel was located below a shower drain pipe (photo below) - was also "approved" by the same person. Were there any prohibitions to this at that time? The top left panel cover screw could not be adequately secured - about 3" of horizontal clearance between the drain pipe and the panel. The drain pipe pre-dated the panel at this location.

This question deserves it's own thread. Leaving the New Jersey Rehab Code out of this that plumbing pipe would be a clear violation of the required clearance in front of equipment of that type. The required clearance in front of the panel runs to Six and one half feet (6'6") or the bottom of the floor joists of the floor above whichever is lower.

david

This question deserves it's own thread. Leaving the New Jersey Rehab Code out of this that plumbing pipe would be a clear violation of the required clearance in front of equipment of that type. The required clearance in front of the panel runs to Six and one half feet (6'6") or the bottom of the floor joists of the floor above whichever is lower.

I agree in principle with the 61/2 feet, but for existing dwellings there is an exception indicating the headroom can be less than 6 1/2 feet.

iwire

Staff member

New rules do not apply retroactively, the OP is doing home inspections and that installation seems to be compliant at the time it was installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.