Class 2 Div 2 Group E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard S

We are working on room that is Class 2 Div 2 Group E and this is the first time working on Class 2 project. Lots of Class 1 but, never a class 2 and noticing lots of differences. We are in CA and 2011 NEC is current code cycle.

For lighting 502.30(A) (2) Fixed Lighting. Luminaires for fixed lighting shall be provided with enclosures that are dusttight or otherwise identified for the location. Each luminaire shall be clearly marked to indicate the maximum wattage of the lamp that shall be permitted without exceeding an exposed surface temperature in accordance with 500.8(D)(2) under normal conditions of use.

Based on this, it would appear that we could use just a dust tight fixture (Nema 12 for example), but your ordinary dust tight fixtures don't have surface temperature rating listed on fixture (or at least I haven't seen one). That would mean I would need to provide Class 2 Div 2 listed fixture. What I found so far is that most of the Class 2 Div 2 fixtures are Groups F & G and not group E. For group E, it appears the fixture needs to be stainless steel ($$$). Looking at this fixtures (see attached below). These fixtures are all class 2 div 1 & 2 rated. Because this is only Div 2 environment and 502.3(A) states that fixture only needs to be dust tight, could I used one of these non group E fixtures because it is dust tight and has surface temperature listing?

Attachments

• LED.jpg
    LED.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
  • NM.jpg
    NM.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SS.jpg
    SS.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.