painting cut ends of strut and threads for corrosion protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i was out at OIA/MCO they had actual galvanizing paint. But i dont see how any of the above methods wouldnt work. I would imagine even standard rustoleum clear coat would do the trick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The threads outside of the nut don't need it and unless the paint is hard and dry the ones inside will push the paint out of the way and make metal-metal contact when being tightened. Doesn't the conductive coating bit only apply for bonding in 250.12? I'm not sure it would for assembly otherwise.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The threads outside of the nut don't need it and unless the paint is hard and dry the ones inside will push the paint out of the way and make metal-metal contact when being tightened. Doesn't the conductive coating bit only apply for bonding in 250.12? I'm not sure it would for assembly otherwise.

300.6(A)

Where corrosion protection is necessary
and the conduit is threaded in the field, the threads shall be
coated with an approved electrically conductive, corrosion resistant
compound.

I seem to recall you are never allowed to paint conduit threads with a non-conductive coating, but I might be wrong about that. in any case, 250.12 would appear to apply to conduit threads.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
How would that meet the code requirement for conductive coating on the threads?

It wouldn't.

300-6a indicates to use Electrically Conductive "Compound". I've never considered paint to be a compound.

JAP>

Carultch

the threads I was talking about are shop cut conduit threads.

Don't you just love loopholes?

Shop-cut and field cut are both covered under the same intent. The point is, when the contractor modifies a piece of steel manufactured product, the contractor is responsible for protecting the bare steel against corrosion.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Shop-cut and field cut are both covered under the same intent. The point is, when the contractor modifies a piece of steel manufactured product, the contractor is responsible for protecting the bare steel against corrosion.

I agree they are the same thing code wise. we just do it in our shop instead of onsite.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Not all the time.
Go and read the thread about "using screw threads as a ground " where grinding the paint away down to a shiny corrosive area is a must. :)

JAP>

ceb58

The company that builds our communication buildings dips the ends of strut in " plastic dip " it makes for a nice clean end and helps protect some one from snagging their arm on a sharp corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.